anyone try virtual windows?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I was reading a different post about installing windows twice, once for standard and one for gaming and I started thinking.
I know thats not always a good thing.

Ive been running 3 different op systems for a long time quite sucessfully, but I have been seeing info about a virtual setup used for among other things software testing.
We have all installed new software and wondered it this would be the one that make the whole house of
cards come tumbling down.

Has anyone tried this and if so what are the system requirements eg.
Would 1.5g memory be sufficient?
What processor/system would possibly be the minimum.
Do driver settings automatically become part of the new machine?
Does the full power of xp come to bear or is it running in a tiny little box with limited functionality.
Im sure that there might be more limitations but what are the options.
Im also sure that some of the programs are better at implementation than others.

I realize that this would not be a solution for gaming requirements, but it could offer a little world to try to fine tune some things without the fear of doing something catostrophic such as a BSOD with loss of information.

I savor the idea that if I totally screw up and tweak things past where common sense played a hand I could just delete the virtual machine with out the ill effects of having to try to figure out what other setting may have been changed that I was unaware of.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
vm goes back a long time ago its not new to the world. I have not use vm in a long while now and the last time I did use this it was with win 95. that time it was limited to 32 mb or 64 cant remember.
for game performance vm is not needed just create a bat file as I described in a post and you will be very please with the out come tweaking the system and files can give you 75% to 100 boost from a normal setup I am starting a new agenda for you guys here that will absolutely give your system the max in performance.
I know I've worked extremely hard at what works best and I have the best of the bst now.

Powerdog_69er

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I installed VMWare Player on a older system:

XP2200 w/ 1500 ram and 9800 video

I use it all the time trying different Linux flavors and getting used to different apps within those OS's. it is beyond awesome as far as ease of use and hardware hookups.

Once you learn how to go and edit the configuration file [to readjust RAM and such]... it is so easy for beginners like me.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Thanks for the rapid replies.

Gomer
Ihave read your replies and posts on the batch|cleanboot for gaming and though I havent yet tried it. I will and it seems excellent.

Powerdog
Thanks, your config is similar to my own and answers many questions in one sentence.
Im just learning.
I thought vmware was basically server oriented. Good news as they seem to be at the forefront of all things virtual.
As Gomer said it has been around for some time but I was afraid it was only for virtual desktop.

I have considered Linux but my HDD is limited. Now that I have offed win98 I have some space, but possibly not enough.

Have you tried xp over xp or is that the same in space requirements on the ol HDD.

Is LINUX worth a try?

The only thing that I know About Linux Is that I tried a Unix port to windows called Deluge 0.5 torrent client yesterday, and you might want to wait for a little more stability. I hear that it works great on MAC UNIX LINUX etc.

lazzios

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Yep, you can do XP over XP. I have done it (to test my custom XP cd) and it works on my modest rig : P-III/256MB/80GB
But remember : The VPC would use resources from your actual PC. Be care ful about how you allocate resources/devices. For a beginner i would suggest you avoid networks and setup XP on a VHD (virtual hard disk) It will make *.vhd file. Use the option of a fixed size vhd (i use 8GB with NTFS).
First install XP and see if all runs fine and then only proceed to other software.
Good luck and welcome to VPC community!!!!!!!!