Is liquid cooling system safe for Overclocking?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Given you have the right components for liquid cooling you'll have way better result than air cooling and especially in overclocking. My advice don't go cheap with liquid cooling. My first liquid cooling kit was a cheap one and it only worked just slightly better than my air coolers.

So what components are you planning to cool and how much overclocking are you looking at?

RocketRobin

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Is liquid cooling system safe for OC ? should I just stick to old fashion fan system?

Liquid cooling is actually safer for overclocking. While an air cooled system can catch fire and explode, if a liquid cooled system catches fire when the hoses burn through the leaked liquid will put out the fire, thus preventing an explosion.

Is liquid cooling system safe for OC ? should I just stick to old fashion fan system?

Watercooling is like unsafe sex, one drop and your gone.

Nah from what i hear the watercooling liquids aint that conductive so it aint goin to matter too much, but you wont get to that stage.

As for safer, i dunno - Intels require that circular cooling to cool the regulators aswell as the cpu so dont think its as easy as it seems there.

And temps - room temp + ~4 is the average temp so yeah a decent improvement, it all depends on your water cooling setup (how many devices attached, pump rate, liquid capacity, radiator size and efficency)

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Given you have the right components for liquid cooling you'll have way better result than air cooling and especially in overclocking. My advice don't go cheap with liquid cooling. My first liquid cooling kit was a cheap one and it only worked just slightly better than my air coolers.

So what components are you planning to cool and how much overclocking are you looking at?

I don't know any high quality liquid cooling system. I am considering liquid system for my next case. I am doing research now.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Yes it is safe, I've had problems with extreme cool temps, water freezing pump submerged in the water. If you plan on trying you must insulate ever bit of the hose and CPU. Condensation will set in when the temps in the case reach around 20c. I built a water fountain chiller awhile ago and I was fine all winter and spring but when the hot summer came I had the worst case of condensation. Dielectric grease saved my system from sure death.

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Yes it is safe, I've had problems with extreme cool temps, water freezing pump submerged in the water. If you plan on trying you must insulate ever bit of the hose and CPU. Condensation will set in when the temps in the case reach around 20c. I built a water fountain chiller awhile ago and I was fine all winter and spring but when the hot summer came I had the worst case of condensation. Dielectric grease saved my system from sure death.

How do I protect the hose from condensation? what type of material do I wrap around the hose?

where do you use the grease in this setup?
Where did you get dielectric grease ?

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Any foam generally, go to your favorite hardware store and test which fits best for ¼ hose or whatever size that person my have, look under plumbing section and find cold and hot water pipe tubing insulating tubing. Most water blocks are protected with a polyester cover. http://www.hondapartsworld.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4318 is the type you are looking for, doesn’t really matter what product of dielectric grease is used. Spread lightly on socket not filling the pins, the whole thing, even the bottom of the socket and sides, coat the gap between the water block and CPU and around the base of the socket 1 inch around the circuit board. You have now help prevent damage to CPU and circuit board. One last thing seal the bigger hoses with any sealer so moisture is sealed inside the insulating tubing. Or maybe there is tubing already made like this. This is for extreme cooling only dielectric grease should be use with water systems.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002

How do I protect the hose from condensation? what type of material do I wrap around the hose?

where do you use the grease in this setup?
Where did you get dielectric grease ?
Just to be clear, this guy is not talking about standard water cooling. With standard water cooling setups, your temps NEVER DROP BELOW AMBIEnT TEMPRATURE....THEREFORE THERE IS NO RISK OF CONDENSATION!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can use distilled water or deionized water. The anti-freeze or glycol is added to inhibit the growth of microbs and algea in the liquid. You can also use a non-electrical conductive coolants specifically made for pc cooling. This however can cost from $10 to $30 a litre but given their special properties and that it is almost as good a water, the cost is worth it. I have used this coolants for my system just for extra insurance in case my water cooling leaks.

Water/Liquid cooling do not go below ambient temps since it uses the room temperature to cool the water through heat exchange via radiator. There is however a water/peltier cooling system like the one Swiftech has. It uses thermoelectric properties to cool one side of the plate below the ambient temp and the hot side will become very hot and that where the water cooling comes in. It cools the hots side via water cooling. This can achieve way below ambient temps but is costly and uses lots of power, that is why the peltier plate uses it's own power supply. The installation could be a bit tricky compare to just regular cooling but it is worth it and again especially for heavy overclocking.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

Liquid cooling is actually safer for overclocking. While an air cooled system can catch fire and explode, if a liquid cooled system catches fire when the hoses burn through the leaked liquid will put out the fire, thus preventing an explosion.

8O :? :?: