Sign in with
Your question

Diferences between windows mac linix unix operating systems

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
January 23, 2010 6:27:25 AM

i am in need of differences between windows operating system,mac operating system,linux operating system,unix operating system
a b 5 Linux
January 23, 2010 7:13:30 AM

How long have you got? Read a few books about Operating Systems.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 23, 2010 7:19:19 AM

I completely agree with ijack :) 

There's a ton of books on Operating Systems and even reading a number of books isn't going to cover all the differences.

You'll have to be more specific.

What's your exact question(s) and why are you asking?
m
l
Related resources
a b 5 Linux
January 24, 2010 11:03:51 AM

Wikipedia would be good.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 25, 2010 12:46:10 AM

@randomizer Certainly, wikipedia would help :)  Some details from the OP would be nice though.

@strangestranger

Games designed for windows usually run ok on the version of windows they were designed to run on.

Native Linux versions of the same games will usually run perfectly, some will run well on WINE, Cedega or Crossover games, in DOSBox or other solutions.

Many DOS and windows games designed for older versions of DOS and windows will not run at all on modern versions of windows and some will in fact run better under Linux.

Non-windows games will not run at all unless an emulator is available.

Semper Fi :) 
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 26, 2010 11:28:43 AM

I'm not a fan, been married 20 years ;) 

Linux folks love git :D 
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 28, 2010 1:32:57 AM

ashokraja668 said:
i am in need of differences between windows operating system,mac operating system,linux operating system,unix operating system

In a nutshell:

1. Windows: proprietary operating system loosely based on Digital's VMS and DOS. Runs on x86, amd64, and Itanium systems.

2. MacOS X: a proprietary Unix operating system with a custom, proprietary window manager and only runs on Apple-sourced hardware.

3. Linux: open-source Unix-like operating system that was initially written from scratch in 1991. Runs on almost any hardware out there, from tiny embedded computers to the biggest supercomputer on the planet.

4. Unix: a general term to describe operating systems that are loosely derived from a very popular operating system developed by AT&T in the 1960s or UC Berkeley in the 1970s and have some general characteristics in common. There are many operating systems based on Unix, some open-source (BSD UNIX) or proprietary (IBM's AIX.)

That's the differences in a nutshell. If you want more information, Wikipedia is your friend because we could write books on the topic.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 28, 2010 6:02:29 PM

Ijack said:
How long have you got? Read a few books about Operating Systems.

Or try writing your own ;) 
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 28, 2010 6:20:36 PM

audiovoodoo said:
Or try writing your own ;) 

Book or OS? I suspect you mean the latter.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 30, 2010 3:42:11 PM

OS of course. I had a look the other night, it sounds like interesting stuff you did. I've worked with people that were key players in the OpenVMS project and there is nothing quite so scary as somebody that really knows a system inside out.
m
l
a b 5 Linux
January 30, 2010 4:42:34 PM

Yeah - it's just a toy, but it is quite a challenge. I can't think of many more difficult projects. Debugging is a nightmare to start with and it can be quite hard getting information about the hardware. But it's a fun intellectual excercise which is what computers are all about for me; I must work a bit more on it sometime.
m
l
!