Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do I transfer Windows 7 from my HDD to an SSD safely?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 1, 2009 11:13:02 PM

I was wondering, I already have Windows 7 installed on a WD Caviar Black 640GB HDD. However, I have a Corsair P128 SSD coming my way so I can use that to run Windows 7 and all the necessary apps that need the speed boost, and planning to use my 640GB HDD for other apps and/or storage. The last thing I'd want to do is reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows on the SSD straight up without having to do all the installations all over again. Is there an easy way to just simply transfer Windows and the drivers, and internet security, and Steam, and all with some certain techniques, or do I have to resort to the uninstall/reinstall bit? I run Win 7 Ultimate x64 Retail, btw, it's not OEM, so I assume that makes it more legal to be able to swap from one HDD to an SSD with successful reactivation, if it has to come to that. What are your thoughts on this?

More about : transfer windows hdd ssd safely

December 1, 2009 11:15:35 PM

You could clone the WD640 with a program like Acronis True Image and transfer everything to the new HD.
m
l
December 1, 2009 11:17:16 PM

All right, I'll look into that piece of software, and see how well that works. I probably won't regret that move...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2009 11:20:28 PM

+1 for Acronis True Image.

Anyways, just remember to disable defragg and do the rest of the SSD optimizations found here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
Works on Win 7 also. I'm still waiting for my 80GB X25-M G2 from Newegg. lol
December 1, 2009 11:54:14 PM

Yeah, got my SSD coming on either Thursday or Friday myself, I'll probably go over to Best Buy this weekend to pick up Acronis, unless Acronis themselves offer a downloadable version of True Image, something to have on the spot rather than waiting another week for Amazon or Newegg to ship it. It's gonna be a long weekend in terms of moving things around, but I'll see what happens.
m
l
!