shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
These are idle temps. The load temps are just as weird, but I'm not overclocking (yet).

Tcase = 44C
Tjunction = 30C

Ambient = ?? (not sure, about 25C outside in Texas right now)
Chipset = 965p
C2D = E6420
CPU Cooler = Tuniq Tower 120
Frequency = 1600 (6 x 266, the automatic underclock on idle (is this ACPI or EIST or something?))
Load = idle
Motherboard = Asus P5B-Plus
Vcore = 1.17

Orthos small FFT priority 9 after 10.5 hours:

Tcase: 60C
Tjunction: 45C
Frequency: 2.13 (stock @ load)

Sorry about not having the ambient temp, but my main question is why is Tcase > Tjunction??

The BIOS and Linux both show about the same idle CPU temp (Tcase) as Windows does (and under linux using the coretemp module in lm_sensors I get the same core0/core1 temps as Speedfan/Coretemp in windows).

Here's a pic:

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tcasegttjunctionwl8.jpg

Also, about the AUX temperature in speedfan, I'm guessing it's trying to read the temperature of my Scythe Kama Bay, but can't? 122C is pretty freakin' hot :)

I used to have an E4300 + DS3 with this same Tuniq and my Tcase was about 10-15C lower than Tjunction. The only discrepancy was TAT which showed both cores about 15C higher than other programs (interestingly, coretemp in Linux showed the same as TAT - is it still true that TAT shows incorrectly for E4300's?).

Any help would be appreciated (i.e. am I fine, or should I be very worried?).

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
The P5B-Plus is relatively new (presumably created to take on the DS3) and only has one bios version: 0401 (that I can find on Asus' website anyway...).

I know Tjunction should be higher than Tcase, which is why I'm so worried :)

darkwire: how long have you had your rig overclocked and has the (possibly inaccurate) CPU temp ever caused you stability problems? Do you just go by the core0/core1 temperatures and ignore CPU?

The only components we have in common are the PSU (hx620) and hd (7200.10), and I can't imagine either being responsible for weird temperature readings.

darkwire

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
I haven't had it OCed very long, I actually just dropped mine back down to stock pending another issue I was having.

I go by the CPU temp and just figure that my core temps are about 15C higher than that since my cores usually show around 30c or so idle and that seems way to low. So I figure they are the ones that are wrong. In speed fan I have my cores offset enough to show +15 over the CPU. The consensus I am getting about these temp readings(core lower than CPU) is that it is the CPU, but I am not sure.

shizza

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
My E4300 + DS3 + Tuniq idled at about 30 core0/core1, with CPU temperatures lower (though not 15C lower), with only TAT showing at around 40-45 idle, so I'm more inclined to believe the core temperatures than the CPU temperature.

The Scythe Infinity is a very good cooler, and assuming your ambient temps aren't too high, I could believe 30C idle easily (I see we live in the same state).

When was your cpu binned?

My batch # is L709A537, packed on 4/24/07.

I'm hoping this is just a mis-read of a sensor or something since I am so tired of sending shit back...

nlanfran

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
...try to enable PECI in your BIOS (under the properties of the CPU) and also enable ACPI 2.0.

This should lower your t case temp.

Nick