Bios and op sys differ on memory

jimofadel

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I have ubuntu 9.10 installed on Toshiba A135-S2396 laptop. Memory is 2 X 512MB. Bios reports 400MB plus 600Mb extended memory. Ubuntu can see only 432MB. How can I fix this?

jimofadel

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Thanks for your reply; but no, the console command 'free -m' reports only about 80MB "free", out of 446MB "total". The 'system monitor' application shows the same thing. One possible issue is that the two 512MB DIMMs are from different manufacturers, but the BIOS seems to see them both, although I was surprised to see it report "extended memory"; I haven't heard that term used since the 386 processor came out. Reversing the slots of the two DIMMs, and running each of them alone all look the same to the op sys, and the system is very ssllooooowww. The cursor can't keep up with the mouse. I'm wondering if I should spend $53 on a single 2GB DIMM. :(

jimofadel

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010

Thanks for your reply -- I'm not familiar with "graphics aperture size" or how to make a query for it, but I'll go to Google and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the tip.

** Enters sporting a credit card statement taller than Mt. Fuji ** [/Old school other humour]

Wingy.. Man I miss that guy. Somewhere in the region of 35k posts if I'm not mistaken. Mind you as we kept having to tell him, size is not everything.

jimofadel

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Nothing has worked yet. Putting the problem on hold until I can get some new memory for the laptop. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll post again if I have any good results.

jimofadel

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Problem solved -- not understood, but solved. Bought a single 2GB DIMM and got rid of the two 512MB DIMMs, now both the BIOS and Ubuntu see all of the memory. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.