Q2 running in XP Home - problems

reboot

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001

I've been gaming Q2 on a Win98SE 900 T-Bird based machine for about 3
years with no problems. Running a cable modem and regularly ping in
the 40-60 range on many servers within Comcast's network. Finally
switched over to XP-H on a new hard drive and have some problems with
Q2.

I run the KB w/ left hand and a mouse w/ right. The KB seems to have
lag - strafe , forward, backwards... etc. keeps going after I stop,
after a short pause it moves again for a second or so and so on...
makes a network game unplayable. It doesn't seem to be different if
I'm on a server that pings 45 or 150.

Any advice or suggestions?

tia
boot

<reboot@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> switched over to XP-H on a new hard drive and have some problems with
> Q2.
>
> I run the KB w/ left hand and a mouse w/ right. The KB seems to have
> lag - strafe , forward, backwards... etc. keeps going after I stop,
> after a short pause it moves again for a second or so and so on...
> makes a network game unplayable. It doesn't seem to be different if
> I'm on a server that pings 45 or 150.
>
> Any advice or suggestions?
>
> tia
> boot

I experienced the exact same problem on one xp machine for some reason. I
know the cure, but I don't know what causes it.

anyway, just run the game in win98 or win95 compatability mode and
everything should be back to normal.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

Behold and tremble! For Margolis <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
> <reboot@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> switched over to XP-H on a new hard drive and have some problems with
>> Q2.
>>
>> I run the KB w/ left hand and a mouse w/ right. The KB seems to have
>> lag - strafe , forward, backwards... etc. keeps going after I stop,
>> after a short pause it moves again for a second or so and so on...
>> makes a network game unplayable. It doesn't seem to be different if
>> I'm on a server that pings 45 or 150.
>>
>> Any advice or suggestions?
>>
>> tia
>> boot
>

> I experienced the exact same problem on one xp machine for some
> reason. I know the cure, but I don't know what causes it.
>
> anyway, just run the game in win98 or win95 compatability mode and
> everything should be back to normal.

I have that on one XP machine too; it's an older computer with a Duron
1200 and Geforce 2. I'll have to try the compatibility mode and see if
that does the trick.

"I see what the nhh-stars do, because so fair is their shape; it is
well for me with them and it is well for them. I am a nhh-star, the
companion of a nhh-star, I become a nhh-star, and I will not suffer for
ever." EvilBill - http://www.evilbill.co.uk My Quake2 FTP site:
ftp://65.30.181.223/quake/EvilBill/

reboot

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:43:45 -0500, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
wrote:

><reboot@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> switched over to XP-H on a new hard drive and have some problems with
>> Q2.
>>
>> I run the KB w/ left hand and a mouse w/ right. The KB seems to have
>> lag - strafe , forward, backwards... etc. keeps going after I stop,
>> after a short pause it moves again for a second or so and so on...
>> makes a network game unplayable. It doesn't seem to be different if
>> I'm on a server that pings 45 or 150.
>>
>> Any advice or suggestions?
>>
>> tia
>> boot
>

>I experienced the exact same problem on one xp machine for some reason. I
>know the cure, but I don't know what causes it.
>
>anyway, just run the game in win98 or win95 compatability mode and
>everything should be back to normal.

I searched Help in XP-H for Win98 / Win9 compatability mode and didn't
get any hits... what is and how do I run one of these modes?

thanks -
boot

<reboot> wrote in message news:fh4280lj8rb4lf6l0k22416ilg5r4fbp2o@4ax.com...

> I searched Help in XP-H for Win98 / Win9 compatability mode and didn't
> get any hits... what is and how do I run one of these modes?
>
> thanks -
> boot

what james said. Right click on the quake2.exe file and select properties,
then click on the compatibility tab. You will see a box that is titled
"compatibility mode". Check the bos next to "run this program in
compatibility mode for" and select win95 from the drop down list.

--

In message <fh4280lj8rb4lf6l0k22416ilg5r4fbp2o@4ax.com>,
reboot@?.?.invalid writes
>On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:43:45 -0500, "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org>
>wrote:
>
>><reboot@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>>> switched over to XP-H on a new hard drive and have some problems with
>>> Q2.
>>>
>>> I run the KB w/ left hand and a mouse w/ right. The KB seems to have
>>> lag - strafe , forward, backwards... etc. keeps going after I stop,
>>> after a short pause it moves again for a second or so and so on...
>>> makes a network game unplayable. It doesn't seem to be different if
>>> I'm on a server that pings 45 or 150.
>>>
>>> Any advice or suggestions?
>>>
>>> tia
>>> boot
>>

>>I experienced the exact same problem on one xp machine for some reason. I
>>know the cure, but I don't know what causes it.
>>
>>anyway, just run the game in win98 or win95 compatability mode and
>>everything should be back to normal.
>
>I searched Help in XP-H for Win98 / Win9 compatability mode and didn't
>get any hits... what is and how do I run one of these modes?
>
>thanks -
>boot
Erg, IIRC, right click on the exe and click properties, there will be
two pages/options, click on compatibility, then you'll see options in
front of you.
--
James Christie

EMAIL: james@christie.demon.co.uk
HOTMAIL: jamesrosschristie@hotmail.com
ICQ: 24864465

<reboot@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> I've been gaming Q2 on a Win98SE 900 T-Bird based machine for about 3
> years with no problems. Running a cable modem and regularly ping in
> the 40-60 range on many servers within Comcast's network. Finally
> switched over to XP-H on a new hard drive and have some problems with
> Q2.
>
> I run the KB w/ left hand and a mouse w/ right. The KB seems to have
> lag - strafe , forward, backwards... etc. keeps going after I stop,
> after a short pause it moves again for a second or so and so on...
> makes a network game unplayable. It doesn't seem to be different if
> I'm on a server that pings 45 or 150.
>
> Any advice or suggestions?
>
> tia
> boot

Its a bug known and experienced by all Quake II players (that i know of) on
WinXP...hell, across 3 machines its happened...all are totaly different
systems. Hopeing to fix this ;)

-L2D