whcih version to buy ?

My #1 son needs his computer upgraded from W98SE to XP Home. At the same
time, we'll upgrade his motherboard to something less ancient.

So which version of XP Home do we want ?

- FULL RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or from
existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
settings/drivers/installed SW) ?

- UPGRADE RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or
from existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
settings/drivers/installed SW) ?

- FULL OEM version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or from
existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
settings/drivers/installed SW) ?

Already in our family (as if this makes a difference)

2x HP OEM XP Home (came installed on laptops)
1x XP PRO upgrade retail
1x XP Home full retail

Thanks,

Bob Elkind
eteamatsignaracnetdotcom@ignorethisstuff <replace atsign with the usual
symbol, replace the dot, and ignore the suffix trash>

Hi Bob,

Either of the first two will do the upgrade, the latter will not.

> 2x HP OEM XP Home (came installed on laptops)

And they are permanently tied to those laptops.

> 1x XP PRO upgrade retail
> 1x XP Home full retail

Either, if not currently installed on an existing system, can be used for
his machine.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bob elkind" <eteam@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> My #1 son needs his computer upgraded from W98SE to XP Home. At the same
> time, we'll upgrade his motherboard to something less ancient.
>
> So which version of XP Home do we want ?
>
> - FULL RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or
> from
> existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> - UPGRADE RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or
> from existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> - FULL OEM version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or from
> existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> Already in our family (as if this makes a difference)
>
> 2x HP OEM XP Home (came installed on laptops)
> 1x XP PRO upgrade retail
> 1x XP Home full retail
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Elkind
> eteamatsignaracnetdotcom@ignorethisstuff <replace atsign with the usual
> symbol, replace the dot, and ignore the suffix trash>

"bob elkind" <eteam@aracnet.com> wrote in message
| My #1 son needs his computer upgraded from W98SE to XP Home. At the same
| time, we'll upgrade his motherboard to something less ancient.

Food for thought

A retail upgrade of Windows XP "off the shelf" is going to run +/- $200.00
(USD) Some software, especially security and optical disc writing (aka
"burning") that worked under Windows 98 may/will have to be replaced for
Windows XP. Likewise some hardware. Printers are a major culprit.

With the proposed motherboard (and processor and RAM maybe power
supply?)upgrade the cost goes even higher.

You can buy a really decent new PC that is faster and more capable than
anything that shipped with Windows 98 for < than $500.00 (USD) with a
monitor and printer. (spares?) Not "top-of-the-line" but decent. With what
you propose you'll be spending more and getting less IMO. With the price of
computers now upgrading a dinosaur is just not cost effective.

Have a look at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm . Be sure to run the
Upgrade Advisor on the 98 PC and factor in the cost of the other things
you're going to have to "upgrade" in addition to just Windows.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

OEM can't do upgrades. Full and Upgrade can both install clean (need a proper MS disk [not HP disk] to prove you own prev verson for the Upgrade version) or upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/matrix.mspx

"bob elkind" <eteam@aracnet.com> wrote in message news:_z_ge.20$p%5.263@news-west.eli.net...
> My #1 son needs his computer upgraded from W98SE to XP Home. At the same
> time, we'll upgrade his motherboard to something less ancient.
>
> So which version of XP Home do we want ?
>
> - FULL RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or from
> existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> - UPGRADE RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or
> from existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> - FULL OEM version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or from
> existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> Already in our family (as if this makes a difference)
>
> 2x HP OEM XP Home (came installed on laptops)
> 1x XP PRO upgrade retail
> 1x XP Home full retail
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Elkind
> eteamatsignaracnetdotcom@ignorethisstuff <replace atsign with the usual
> symbol, replace the dot, and ignore the suffix trash>

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

GET REAL !
AN UPGRADE WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION IS ONLY $89.48 AT WALMART !
I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU BUY YOUR SOFTWARE BUT I'LL BET THEY JUST LOVE TO
SEE YOU COME IN !
Windows XP Home edition Upgrade will work just fine for youe son's
computer. You can do a fresh clean install with it and you WON'T have to
spen $200.00 as the 'Dumb Hillbilly" suggested.

"Jack" <Jack@nothome.com> wrote in message
| GET REAL !
| AN UPGRADE WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION IS ONLY $89.48 AT WALMART !
| I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU BUY YOUR SOFTWARE BUT I'LL BET THEY JUST LOVE TO
| SEE YOU COME IN !
| Windows XP Home edition Upgrade will work just fine for youe son's
| computer. You can do a fresh clean install with it and you WON'T have to
| spen $200.00 as the 'Dumb Hillbilly" suggested.

Yes you're correct. An XP Home upgrade can be purchased for +/- $100.00. The
price I mentioned was for XP Pro and for such is correct. I hadn't
considered Home.

That said, with the other upgrades the OP mentioned he's still going to be
spending more to upgrade that computer than it's worth in my opinion. My
opinion remains unchanged.

As for your childish need to be insulting over a difference of opinion on a
cost effective upgrade, that certainty says a whole lot more about you than
it does about me.

For future reference if your going to insult someone's intelligence you
might want to spend a little more time on your own spelling, punctuation and
grammar.

Bob,
I agree in one respect with HillBilly, you should just go ahead and buy
a new PC, whether it be for your #1 son or for you and you give #1 son your
old one. I'm not promoting Dell, but you can get a very decent Dell system
for under $500 US, so it may be worth considering.

If #1 son is getting close to graduating, say in high school, and if you
can comfortably afford it, I'd invest in getting him a laptop, one that
should last him through 4 years of college. I'm making this comment as I
see very few notebooks (as in pen, paper type) in college these days.
Shoot, most colleges have places to download the books, lesson plans,
lectures, labs, you name it from there web sites, not to mention many
prestigious colleges have installed wireless, where the student/professor
can be on the network regardless of his/her campus location.

Just a few thoughts for you.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"bob elkind" <eteam@aracnet.com> wrote in message
> My #1 son needs his computer upgraded from W98SE to XP Home. At the same
> time, we'll upgrade his motherboard to something less ancient.
>
> So which version of XP Home do we want ?
>
> - FULL RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or
> from
> existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> - UPGRADE RETAIL version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or
> from existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> - FULL OEM version - will this do "upgrade" installs from W98SE, or from
> existing XP Home (e.g. do a "repair install" to maintain
> settings/drivers/installed SW) ?
>
> Already in our family (as if this makes a difference)
>
> 2x HP OEM XP Home (came installed on laptops)
> 1x XP PRO upgrade retail
> 1x XP Home full retail
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Elkind
> eteamatsignaracnetdotcom@ignorethisstuff <replace atsign with the usual
> symbol, replace the dot, and ignore the suffix trash>

He can't legally buy it at walmart. If he does buy it it becomes a pirated copy.