shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Hey my pc wont post any more,
Last night it was raining, and today when I woke up there was a blackout once the power came back on I turned on my computer to find that it was not posting at all AND I could not turn the computer off with the power button the only way I could/can is to unplug it from the wall. So I began changeing part in/out I started off with my ram didnt work, then a unpluged my hdds one by one didnt work and then pluged them back in , then I reset my cmos didnt work and then I swaped my 6600gt (pci-e) for my pos fx5200 (AGP 8X) *I have an asrock dual motherboard* this still didnt work so im left with 3 options 1. my cpu got fried thu a power surge 2. my motherboard is dead 3.my psu has gone bye bye. Is there any way to make sure the problem wont resolve itself or there is no I way I can fix it with out buying new parts .
also when i turn it on i hear the harddrives boot and the fans are spinning
my specs are

AMD alathon 64 3000+ s939 @ 2.25ghz (1yo)
Nvidia 6600gt (1 1/2 yo)
2 Samsung 80gb hdds (ata) (2yo)
Asrock dual sata 2 motherboard (1yo)
2 512mb of generic ddr 400 ram (different brands one and a half yr old)
Omni 350watts of pure A grade pwnage lolll ( 5-6 yo)

ps I cant test parts by putting them in other computers vice versa scince I just moved here and dont know anyone.

Things to note :
I do not have a surge power board
Currently my cmputer is unpluged so i can let the power drain out of it (i heard this helps)
I belive a power surge caused this
Sorry of bad grammer and spelling.

Nothing on monitor, correct? But monitor standby light is on? If you hear a short, single POST beep then dbl check the monitor is ok.

No beeps? No single post beep? Then best guess is PSU or MOBO. The PSU obviously has some life left but maybe not enough. Since a PSU is a lot easier to switch out I would try that first. If you don't have another one to try you could always buy one from a big box store and then just return it if that's not it.

When testing I would go to barebones; CPU, one stick ram, power supply, video. With a new PSU in there see if you can get any post.

If I recall correctly you have already switched out ram and video. If so and the new PSU doesn't do the trick it's probably MOBO. The CPU is rarely is the culprit in these cases.

Some times the PC will simply come back to life after a long rest. It's worth a shot. But if after an overnight rest still nothing I'd say it's time to dig in.

Good luck.