User account configurations in Vista Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldbloke

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Hi,

I currently log in to Vista 32 bit as administrator. This installation has become quite messy and convoluted due to me installing/ uninstalling/ adding/ removing hardware etc on more occasions than I really need to. (I can't stop tinkering). It runs fine, mostly.

Windows media centre has a problem. It won't recognise my Asus DVBt tuner driver in this account.
Tried all sorts. Without success. Finally decided to create a fresh and clean windows install on a spare hard drive (no way was I risking losing my original data). Windows media center DVBt tuner then worked fine. This would imply that the original problem was caused by my installing and uninstalling with drivers and other media center programs.

Problem solved? Not quite. I do not want to dual boot Vista. This will causes problems with Vista activation. Microsoft will think I am running my Vista on 2 pcs.

So Here is my question: Can I set up a new user account that appears to be a fresh windows install? Eg, for each account I have on the pc I will have to install drivers and programs for hardware and software separately? This would then assure Microsoft that Vista is being used as licensed.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
No, Drivers are installed in Windows and not in you documents.

For reinstallation, if you can reinstall and move back your stuff, do it. You will end with a stable and clean Windows.

The worse scenario will be to call M$ and ask for a new key (about 5 minutes to do it). Don't worry, the swat team won't come at your house or their lawyers. Just tell them that you had to reinstall (you won't be the first and your not lying). They will simply ask you if it installed elsewhere and say no.

If you just installed Windows and had no hardware change, the activation should work without any problems.

baldbloke

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks Loneagle. I wondered where the drivers went. That makes sense.

I will reinstall and copy my data from old to new install.

If I hear a helicopter appear overhead as I phone Microsoft and the SWAT team absails on to my roof I'll be ready for 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.