Sign in with
Your question

Problem with .avi files

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 20, 2008 4:30:50 PM

I just installed Vista yesterday , and I like it very much. It's very stable (not like other n00bs say) , it boots up way faster than winXP.
But , I have one problem... Everything is running fine , but .avi files. I tried downloading DiVX - didn't help.
So I deleted it and downloaded K-Lite Codecs. Somehow it worked fine... But now I installed a game called Unreal Tournament 3 and suddenly the codecs stopped working. I rebooted my system , and it still doesn't work. I even tried to reinstall it , but it still doesn't work.

What should I do?

More about : problem avi files

January 20, 2008 4:50:53 PM

Install Quicktime if Divx didn't work.
m
l
January 20, 2008 6:37:15 PM

Nope , Quicktime isn't also...
m
l
Related resources
January 20, 2008 7:44:46 PM

I have already VLC installed... It doesn't help also.
m
l
January 20, 2008 8:26:13 PM

What happens when you try to play an avi in VLC? Error message? Can you play other media files? DVDs?

If all else fails use system restore to set system back to before UT3 was installed.
m
l
January 21, 2008 3:51:16 AM

It doesn't show any error message , it just doesn't show anything. You can see the time is moving (playing the file) , but no sound or video.
But , all audio files work normaly.
I'll try to run other media files and report back.
m
l
January 21, 2008 11:39:32 AM

crembo said:
It doesn't show any error message , it just doesn't show anything. You can see the time is moving (playing the file) , but no sound or video.
But , all audio files work normaly.
I'll try to run other media files and report back.

Be sure to try other avis too, it could be a problem with this particular file.
m
l
January 21, 2008 12:27:15 PM

Ok so i cheacked few types:
avi - most work fine , but few.
mov - works fine.
mp4 - works fine.
mpg - works fine.
wmv - works like crap , it's blinking , or doesn't work at all.

What's the problem?
m
l
January 21, 2008 2:55:52 PM

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling VLC? and have you tried 'system restore'?
m
l
January 21, 2008 4:18:42 PM

I tried reinstall , and I havn't tried system restore. System restore will delete the files I downloaded?
m
l
January 21, 2008 4:29:29 PM

Quote:
System restore will delete the files I downloaded?

No. It will save everything you DL, your DL's and data files and personal stuff are unaffected..

It will also preserve all your programs and settings that you had BEFORE the restore date - choose a restore point just before the problem started, you will be given a choice of dates. Very little will be affected. This is not like an OS restore. But just to be clear 'system restore' is in control panel>backup and restore> and then at the bottom of the page you will see it. On my Vista it is listed below the options 'restore files' or 'restore computer', which of course you do not want to choose.

Easiest way to get to it is to just type 'system restore' in the search box under the 'start button'.

Assuming system restore is turned on on your system.
m
l
January 21, 2008 5:37:30 PM

Aw , it's already to late to do system restore. Because the last restore point is today earlier :/ 
m
l
January 21, 2008 6:19:23 PM

crembo said:
Aw , it's already to late to do system restore. Because the last restore point is today earlier :/ 

Damn.

I'm out of ideas.

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling your video card drivers - maybe UT messed em up somehow. Its worth a try for sure - just might do the trick
m
l
January 22, 2008 1:24:14 PM

Alright , I'll try that. I'll report back...
m
l
February 29, 2008 5:57:12 PM

don't know if you ever figured this out, but when it happened to me I just went into the "Default Programs" console, clicked on the file types that weren't working, and re-selected the apps that I waned to use to play them. In may case, mpg and mpeg were not playing, but asking to be downloaded. The tool showed that media player was already set to open them, but i had to re-select media player and everything worked after that.

The problem only happened after installing another media player and codecs.
m
l
!