dumbdrummer401

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Is it possible to install a dell-made operating system on a non dell computer and have that computer be 100% and stable? I'm really not sure anymore. I thought so. I hope so because people are selling Dell operating systems for really cheap because anyone who buys a vista laptop from dell seems to get a windows XP CD too. My other thought is, what if I install a normal windows XP, but then use the Security code from a dell operating system.

What do you guys think?
-Philip

G

No, Dell Windows XP CDs look for a Dell BIOS and will not install on a non Dell computer.

Grumpy

Meekie69

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
No, Dell Windows XP CDs look for a Dell BIOS and will not install on a non Dell computer.

Grumpy

That statement may not be entirely correct. I recently used my old Dell XP installation cd (2002 pre-SP2) and I slipstreamed it with SP2 (downloaded from Microsoft website) and installed correctly with no glitches on my new PC I built over the xmas holiday. Now, would it have installed without slipstreaming it? That I don't know BUT if he slipstreams SP2 into it, it should work for him.

riser

Illustrious
Generally the answer is No.

But if Dell provided you with a CD, slipstreaming a SP on it will override the Dell portion, allowing you to do as Meekie said.

THG did do an article on how to use the CDs to have a full version of Windows without all the BS stuff they tend to toss on it.