The Reckoning - install problem

Hi.

I am running Quake 2 version 3.20 under Windows ME on an Athlon XP1800+.

Ground Zero works, but when I try to run The Reckoning I get a dialog
box message saying "FS_Read: zero bytes read."

I have run the 3.20 update q2-3.20-x86-full-ctf.exe both before and
after installing The Reckoning.

I have also tried manually installing by dragging and dropping the
contents of the SPLASH/DATA/ALL folder into the C:\QUAKE2\XATRIX folder.

Maybe it doesn't like the 3.20 update being installed first?

I have tried using both versions of the gamex86.dll file.

It used to work on my old P2 with no problem: any ideas what I need to
do to get it working?

TIA,
Martin.
3 answers Last reply
More about reckoning install problem

    "Martin" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > I am running Quake 2 version 3.20 under Windows ME on an Athlon XP1800+.
    >
    > Ground Zero works, but when I try to run The Reckoning I get a dialog
    > box message saying "FS_Read: zero bytes read."

    this is not a problem with 3.20, but there is a fix for it.
    http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/126688.shtml

    --

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

    "Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
    > this is not a problem with 3.20, but there is a fix for it.
    > http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/126688.shtml

    Thanks for your reply Margolis. Unfortunately that didn't work.

    Tempted to reinstall Q2 and install The Reckoning then do the 3.20
    update, but I'm in the middle of Ground Zero and don't want to b*gger up
    my saved games...

    Cheers,
    Martin.

    > Thanks for your reply Margolis. Unfortunately that didn't work.
    >
    > Tempted to reinstall Q2 and install The Reckoning then do the 3.20
    > update, but I'm in the middle of Ground Zero and don't want to b*gger up
    > my saved games...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Martin.

    If you have the harddrive space, you could have 2 seperate installs. Just
    copy your current game folder to another folder with a different name such
    as Ground zero and then just create the proper shortcut to start the game
    there. Then you could uninstall q2 and reinstall it again and then try the
    reckoning with that fresh install. I think q2 has to be patched to at least
    3.15 before you install the reckoning though, I believe.

    Margolis
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
    http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ3FAQ.htm
    http://www.agutng.org.uk/