Using current OS drive for new build

jamesr10962

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Hi, I was wondering if I can use existing ssd (loaded with Win 7 and all current drivers) for a new build: new mobo, cpu and ram.Both will be x64 Guess I`m just lazy for not wanting to do another clean install lol. Any replies will be appreciated. Thank you.

Solution

If that's the case, I agree, a clean install is needed. His current installation won't have the necessary chipset drivers and possibly other drivers that are needed to run optimally. Not to mention that a clean install will help remove registry bloat.

kaa0653

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I think jamesr10962 wants to move an existing Windows 7 installation to a new system without reinstalling. I would recommended a clean install. I know people have moved their drives but I believe you still need to reinstall the application to make them function and you will probably have to repair the OS. If you have to do that what's an extra 20 minutes to install windows?

If that's the case, I agree, a clean install is needed. His current installation won't have the necessary chipset drivers and possibly other drivers that are needed to run optimally. Not to mention that a clean install will help remove registry bloat.

Solution