How to tell my PSU Wattage?

JohnM427

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Hey I have an older HP with these specs:
AMD Xp 3000+
2x512 PC2700
had 6200 (is broken)

last year we had it brought to the shop cause the wires broke for the PSU, they replaced it with a new one. i was looking into buying a cheapish agp card for light light gaming when friends come oevr (i have replaced this) but was wondering if it could handle it (i think it was 350 but i want to make sure).

it says codegen on the side, but nothing about watts, there is some type of table with info but no watts, anything i should look for???

thanks

If it lists the amps on the side for the 12V, 5V and 3.3V lines then you can calculate the wattage (Power = Volts X Amps). You could also google the model number for the PSU and get all kinds of info on it.

JohnM427

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
Ok, I found out it is a Codegen 350W PSU, with my current specs above could this power a 6800gt / x800xt or one of the higher end cards from that generation?

They replaced your HP power supply with a codegen brand unit? 8O

Those are $15 power supplies that are usually bundled with cases, and it is much lower quality - to the point I would worry about the hardware that is connected to it. I would not connect any modern GPU to it at all.