FnTm

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Hi! So i have this kind of a situation here.

I had a system, that was installed on a Raid0. My mb is Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 so it has fakeraid. So there ar 2x40gb Samsungs set up in a RAID0 and I allso have a 250gb Maxtor for files. So Ive been trying to get my system back from a mysterious crash of WinXP, but to no avail. So what i was wondering about is, could I install WinXp on the Maxtor, and set up the raid after the install? I could use them for games, and some really demanding programms.

So, is setting up RAID after winxp install possible?

Thanks
FnTm

riser

Illustrious
Technically? Nope.

BUT.. with a little google searching, a lot of time and some headaches, you may be able to do it. The catch is the drives need to be the same size. So, your Windows install will take that much space, plus some for the page file, temp files, etc away from your raid.. then it'll take that same amount of space off your 2nd drive as well.

If you're going to do it.. do it right. Start from scratch.

FnTm

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks, but i dont think you got my point.

But I did it! Just made a fresh install on the biggest drive, and started installing the drivers, and here all of a sudden is my RAID! :D Of course i didnt format it, and didnt dissasemble it, so its all good.

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Setting up RAID 0 boot disk after the install is possible. In fact this way XP install is less problematic I have found.

First install on maxtor. Don't forget to install the F6 Intel and Gigabyte RAID files at the start of install. After the installation set you samsungs as RAID 0. Using Norton Ghost or other software transfer your boot drive to the RAID.

In my own setup, boot disk (XP+program files) is a pair of samsung 80 gb in RAID 0. My Documents and other data is on a pair of samsung 500 gb in RAID 1. Then I have a fifth, nonRAID, single seagate 500 gb I use for backup of both boot and documents RAID disks.