Directv HD receiver question

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 21, 2004 9:19:09 AM

I recently purchased two HDTV's within a few months. I can receive some
of my local HD content with an OTA antenna and really think it's great.
I am planning on getting a HD reciever for Directv's HDTV package. But,
before I do this I would like to know a few things.

1. Does Directv provide local HD channels or will they still be in SD? I
currently receive local channels thru Directv - San Antonio, Tx. No
antenna is needed. If Directv provides HD channels for my area, will I
receive the multiple channels that are provided from a single station
like 9-1 and 9-2?

2. Does the DirecTivo HD receiver allow you to record from an antenna or
other input?

-jerryl
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 11:12:49 AM

Chris Thomas wrote:
> In article <41c82694$0$16107$a1866201@visi.com>, NsdoO(at)
> S.visiP.AcomM says...
> > DirecTV does not, at this time, provide local channels from
> > satellite,
>
> True for most markets but if one lives in NY or LA, your CBS, NBC,
> and now FOX locals are available in HD (ch 79-83). These are
> available in some other markets, depending on who owns these
> franchises in the market. Upcoming satellite launches will increase
> DTV's HD capacity.

I'm not certain why anybody is still watching "local" channels on a
satellite feed at all. You pay for a service with 500 channels and you
still demand satellite delivery of what you can receive with rabbit
ears. I don't want my bandwidth wasted for HD broadcasts of local
SD-fed weather and news. Most of it is going to be 25 copies of "Wife
Swap" and "The Bachellor[ette] 25" 98% of the time.

If you don't live in an area that can receive OTA, then DON'T RECEIVE
IT VIA SATELLITE EITHER.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 2:25:43 PM

Jerry, Chris is on the money. If you live in the rght O&O market you'll
get high def FOX, NBC and CBS from DirecTV. ABC is coming soon.

I believe in San Antonio CBS, NBC and ABC are presently available in HD
OTA.

DirecTV HD receivers including the DirecTIVO-HD receives local HD OTA
programming.

The HD-DirecTIVO has 4 tuners...(2) satellite, (2) HD-OTA. Any
combination of 2 works at the same time, example:
SAT/SAT
OTA/OTA
SAT/OTA

Harry
Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com
Daily HDTV news provided.
December 21, 2004 4:35:16 PM

Jerry L <jerrylguard-nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased two HDTV's within a few months. I can receive some
> of my local HD content with an OTA antenna and really think it's great.
> I am planning on getting a HD reciever for Directv's HDTV package. But,
> before I do this I would like to know a few things.
>
> 1. Does Directv provide local HD channels or will they still be in SD? I
> currently receive local channels thru Directv - San Antonio, Tx. No
> antenna is needed. If Directv provides HD channels for my area, will I
> receive the multiple channels that are provided from a single station
> like 9-1 and 9-2?

DirecTV does not, at this time, provide local channels from
satellite, but you can continue to recieve what you're getting OTA now
(the satellite recievers also include a ATSC tuner, just attach your
current antenna feed to the antenna-in port on the tuner). On mine, the
local OTA channels show up with the multiple channels like you describe.
DirecTV plans to add some level of local HD broadcasting in the future,
but how long that will be, and for how many locale's they do so, remains
to be seen.

> 2. Does the DirecTivo HD receiver allow you to record from an antenna or
> other input?

The HDTivo will allow this, yes (so I read, anyway, haven't yet
acquired one myself).

Scott
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:35:17 PM

In article <41c82694$0$16107$a1866201@visi.com>, NsdoO(at)
S.visiP.AcomM says...
> DirecTV does not, at this time, provide local channels from
> satellite,

True for most markets but if one lives in NY or LA, your CBS, NBC,
and now FOX locals are available in HD (ch 79-83). These are
available in some other markets, depending on who owns these
franchises in the market. Upcoming satellite launches will increase
DTV's HD capacity.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 6:57:37 PM

Can I plug in my cable tv feed into my OTA port on the DirectTv HD Tivo unit
and get to my cable feed as well through the programming guide?

"Harry Dugan" <shamrock2020@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Jerry, Chris is on the money. If you live in the rght O&O market you'll
> get high def FOX, NBC and CBS from DirecTV. ABC is coming soon.
>
> I believe in San Antonio CBS, NBC and ABC are presently available in HD
> OTA.
>
> DirecTV HD receivers including the DirecTIVO-HD receives local HD OTA
> programming.
>
> The HD-DirecTIVO has 4 tuners...(2) satellite, (2) HD-OTA. Any
> combination of 2 works at the same time, example:
> SAT/SAT
> OTA/OTA
> SAT/OTA
>
> Harry
> Admin at http://www.hdtvforum.com
> Daily HDTV news provided.

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:30:55 PM

No.

The HD-DirecTIVO (or HD-DirecTV with DVR) only records satellite or OTA.

Harry
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:15:08 AM

<t_pascal@my-deja.com> wrote in message

> Chris Thomas wrote:
>> In article <41c82694$0$16107$a1866201@visi.com>, NsdoO(at)
>> S.visiP.AcomM says...
>> > DirecTV does not, at this time, provide local channels from
>> > satellite,
>>
>> True for most markets but if one lives in NY or LA, your CBS, NBC,
>> and now FOX locals are available in HD (ch 79-83). These are
>> available in some other markets, depending on who owns these
>> franchises in the market. Upcoming satellite launches will increase
>> DTV's HD capacity.
>

> I'm not certain why anybody is still watching "local" channels on a
> satellite feed at all. You pay for a service with 500 channels and you
> still demand satellite delivery of what you can receive with rabbit
> ears. I don't want my bandwidth wasted for HD broadcasts of local
> SD-fed weather and news. Most of it is going to be 25 copies of "Wife
> Swap" and "The Bachellor[ette] 25" 98% of the time.
>
> If you don't live in an area that can receive OTA, then DON'T RECEIVE
> IT VIA SATELLITE EITHER.

I my area (Westchester County, NY) I cannot get NBC and CBS digital stations
reliably OTA. But, I can them reliably from the satellite. Within the past
few days, DirecTV added Fox. If they would add ABC, I would be watching 99%
of my shows in HDTV format. That's why it is important for some of us to
receive local stations from the satellite rather than OA. Clear?
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 7:46:57 PM

> No.
>
> The HD-DirecTIVO (or HD-DirecTV with DVR) only records satellite or OTA.
>
> Harry

Digital OTA that is. Unfortunately it does not receive analog OTA, or
Digital cable or HD Cable.

Brad H
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 12:48:48 PM

Z Man wrote:
> <t_pascal@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Chris Thomas wrote:
> >> In article <41c82694$0$16107$a1866201@visi.com>, NsdoO(at)
> >> S.visiP.AcomM says...
> >>
> >> True for most markets but if one lives in NY or LA, your CBS, NBC,
> >> and now FOX locals are available in HD (ch 79-83). These are
> >> available in some other markets, depending on who owns these
> >> franchises in the market. Upcoming satellite launches will
increase
> >> DTV's HD capacity.
> >

> > I'm not certain why anybody is still watching "local" channels on a
> > satellite feed at all. You pay for a service with 500 channels and
you
> > still demand satellite delivery of what you can receive with rabbit
> > ears. I don't want my bandwidth wasted for HD broadcasts of local
> > SD-fed weather and news. Most of it is going to be 25 copies of
"Wife
> > Swap" and "The Bachellor[ette] 25" 98% of the time.
> >
> > If you don't live in an area that can receive OTA, then DON'T
RECEIVE
> > IT VIA SATELLITE EITHER.
>
> I my area (Westchester County, NY) I cannot get NBC and CBS digital
stations
> reliably OTA. But, I can them reliably from the satellite. Within the
past
> few days, DirecTV added Fox. If they would add ABC, I would be
watching 99%
> of my shows in HDTV format. That's why it is important for some of us
> receive local stations from the satellite rather than OA. Clear?

I do understand "why" but not really. The HD content is minimal, and
most of the really good, high quality stuff like "Wife Swap" and
"Survivor 38" isn't in HD. There are plenty of SD copies of local
broadcasts. I believe there is a whole satellite devoted to it up
there? That costs me money even if I don't want it; the satellite and
fuel used so push it up there isn't cheap. Please don't eat up my
(our) HD (and quite frankly, SD) bandwidth with this OTA junk.
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 7:03:55 AM

Do I have to switch inputs or are OTA channel in the correct Tivo line-up?
Do I get the listings for the OTA HDTV content?
Which HD format does the Directv HD package broadcast in? 1080i or 720p?

-Jerry

!