Does the Thermalright ultra 120 fit in an antec 900 case?

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
miahelln, i read a review on newegg about it, saying the user had trouble fitting it in and had to mod it, is this true? or does anyone have an antec 900 and a ultra 120?

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
I installed a system on teh 900 recently, I found it had plenty of room. I did not use the 120 Ultra, but I don't see why it would need to be modded, there was lots of room? Beats me?

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
so it would fit in there for sure, i shouldnt have any troubles just plopping it in?
sorry im insisting, my friend is bringing me one in the morning and i want to know if it will fit in.
thanks a lot

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
The issue was likely with the side fan installed. Stock the 900 does have one, but if you choose to add one, you may have to mod your fan to get it to fit. Otherwise, you should be golden :D

mboorman

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
I put one in an antec p180b and the top of the heatpipes clear the side panel by about 3mm. If the 900 case is the same width then a fan or fan mount over the cpu area will interfere with the cooler.

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
The issue was likely with the side fan installed. Stock the 900 does have one, but if you choose to add one, you may have to mod your fan to get it to fit. Otherwise, you should be golden :D

?? sorry but im confused what are you saying?

and also, well the ultra 120 is no good without the fan installed as well, and seeing that it doesnt clear the space in the 900, any suggestions?
id like to keep the 900, good price, good air flow, nice design, but what should i do since the ultra 120 wont fit in it?

BeakA9

Distinguished
May 14, 2007

and also, well the ultra 120 is no good without the fan installed as well, and seeing that it doesnt clear the space in the 900, any suggestions?
id like to keep the 900, good price, good air flow, nice design, but what should i do since the ultra 120 wont fit in it?

I think what eric45 is trying to say is that the fan on the side of the case where the window is will not fit, not the fan on the side of the heatsink itself. I have both the antec 900 and the thermalright ultra 120 extreme and I had to remove the fan from the side of my case when I installed the heatsink.

You may not have to remove the optional case fan though if your processor socket is located high enough up on your motherboard so that the heatsink is out of the way of the side fan. My processor however is kinda far down on the mobo because the ram dimms are located above it (and not to the side of it like on some mobos).

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004

I think what eric45 is trying to say is that the fan on the side of the case where the window is will not fit, not the fan on the side of the heatsink itself. I have both the antec 900 and the thermalright ultra 120 extreme and I had to remove the fan from the side of my case when I installed the heatsink.

You may not have to remove the optional case fan though if your processor socket is located high enough up on your motherboard so that the heatsink is out of the way of the side fan. My processor however is kinda far down on the mobo because the ram dimms are located above it (and not to the side of it like on some mobos).

haha thanks, hell of a helpfull first post, welcome to the forums, though im not one to introduce you, im just a newbie myself. but since you own a 900, do you think its still worth it to get a 120 ultra if it means i have less fan in my case

BeakA9

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
haha thanks, hell of a helpfull first post, welcome to the forums, though im not one to introduce you, im just a newbie myself. but since you own a 900, do you think its still worth it to get a 120 ultra if it means i have less fan in my case

Well when I originally installed the ultra 120 extreme I was thinking of moding my case so i could mount the side fan lower on the panel so it would be out of the way, but after 2 weeks of using my system without a side fan, everything is running really cool still and the airflow is great so I'm not even going to bother doing that. Plus my cpu temp is soooo much cooler now versus the stock cooler, so I'd say it's definitely a worthwhile tradeoff.

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
alright thanks a lot guys, im gonna go with the 120 ultra with a scythe fan prob.
again, awesome response love these forums

vilacr

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
The coolermaster GeminII with 2 thermaltake 120mm fans fits nicely into my Antec 900 so I am guessing ,since that HSF (GeminII) is about as large as it gets, the extreme 120 should fit into your case.

Sharp

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2004
The coolermaster GeminII with 2 thermaltake 120mm fans fits nicely into my Antec 900 so I am guessing ,since that HSF (GeminII) is about as large as it gets, the extreme 120 should fit into your case.

that doesnt necessarily mean that it will fit, the geminII is a very wide HSF, but no where near as tall as an ultra 120, and it will barely clear the side of the case by 3 mm, thats without the sidefan as well