Sign in with
Your question

iexplorer.exe running multiple processes

Last response: in Windows XP
January 6, 2008 2:04:46 PM

In the Task Manager iexplorer.exe is running 5 or 6 processes and uses 100% of CPU, sometimes even if the internet is not running. This is slowing down the internet consideably. If I end all the Processes then it works fine but in a few days all the processes come back.

I have a 5 or so year old dell running Windows XP Home.

Is this a know problem or is my computer just retarded?

Please help.
January 6, 2008 8:17:40 PM

It's possible that you have programs that automatically search for updates when you run them and they would IE to connect to the NET. I disable this for all programs using a program called TheUltimateTrouble shooter but a lot of programs will let you disable this. Could try disabling this feature in the programs you're running including Windows. Of course if you do this, you have to manual check for updates now and then. Be worth a look. Also the free version of ZoneAlarm allow you to choose what programs you want to allow to connect to the internet but not sure that it would prevent IE from running but it would tell you what programs are connecting.
January 7, 2008 6:49:08 PM

Thanks alot ill try that and see what happens.
Related resources
January 7, 2008 7:26:28 PM

Let us know
January 7, 2008 9:47:27 PM

robertito said:
In the Task Manager iexplorer.exe is running 5 or 6 processes and uses 100% of CPU, sometimes even if the internet is not running. This is slowing down the internet consideably. If I end all the Processes then it works fine but in a few days all the processes come back.

I have a 5 or so year old dell running Windows XP Home.

Is this a know problem or is my computer just retarded?

Please help.
usefullness is using a host file to block out crap search for mvp host file its well worth the downfalls with this you can do quite a bit. Xp installs a host file but its not used untill you actually put some stuff in it, I advise all to start using a host file rather than some 3 part spywear program. Its worked wonders for me more, so in the area of lets say muchmusic when playing a video, an annoying ad comes up, well with MVP host file thats a thing of the past, also you can add these goodies blacklisted from here. http://hosts-file.net
The only downside I have found is with some updates but thats not a real issue just go to your host file and change the name to host1 or add the ip or web site to be unblocked by changing the ip in the host file.
January 7, 2008 10:11:11 PM

Some thing else helpful, you say that your computer is 5 or 6 years old.
It might be getting time for a fresh install.
Its better than any repair tools you will find.
I know its a bitch but back up, get the newest drivers on a cd along wit SP2 if you dont have it on disk
Inventory on paper the necessary downloaded progs required eg acrobat pk zip etc. (check it twice)
write down all of your working network settings
Get yourself a 6 pack and type format c:
Its winter Everyone needs a hobby
January 7, 2008 10:53:32 PM

can we throw in a dube or two wiff that six pack sounds good
January 7, 2008 11:18:15 PM

gomerpile said:
can we throw in a dube or two wiff that six pack sounds good

Absolutely, best to wait on the 6 pack until your doing the updates but don't wait for the dube
January 8, 2008 12:04:32 AM

I want to avoid repair tools from the internet as most don't work. I was trying to avoid it but I think I'm just going to reinstall XP. Thanks for the suggestions.
!