Why can't I run Vista?

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Okay, I get Vista installed, get all the drivers updated to the latest and greatest drivers. Run the Windows update express t'll it stops. Open internet explorer surf around go to yahoo.... crash.... open internet explorer go to yahoo.... crash.... Install one of my games run it for 10 minutes.... crash.... crash again, again, AND AGAIN!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!

Now is Vista a Lemon? or is there something wrong with this config?

E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 (OC'd to 3.59)
EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler
OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
COOLER MASTER Stacker 810 RC-810-SSN1 Silver w/2 xtra 80mm fans
(2)Sli EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR GeForce 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB
(2)Raid 0 Seagate Baracuda 250GB Hard Drives

It really looks to me like Vista is the new ME. It just doesn't work.

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
No specific codes I got a lot of explorer has stopped working messages but that was the closest thing to a code I saw, no actual error codes. As for the games crashing occasionally I'd see a game has stopped working but for the most part the games just locked up and I couldn't get back to windows or I'd be listening to a music track while playing and the video would get distorted when windows media player switched tracks (that was weird.)

This pretty much sums up my experience with vista. This guy had even better specs than mine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LMpEqJWsqLU

I had a lot of succes with VISTA BETA running the following configuartion:

AMD 3200 Athlon Socket A 2.2 mhz. CPU
ASUS Deluxe Socket A MB
Radeon 9200 128MB
2 x 512 Kingston PC3200 value RAM
WD IDE 80 GB HD

Then I moved to VISTA 32 the week it came out. Discovered it was a far superior OS than XP and vowed to never build a personal computer using XP and the 6000 patches needed to run it again. I still have the XP disk with No SP1, SP2, or the other 5098 patches required to make it work on a daily basis. It beats the hell out of Windows 98 when I install it. Runs high speed internet with no problems. XP = Giant patch so big I can't find original OS anywhere. :sol:

Now I've been using VISTA Ultimate 64 for a couple of months. Not only does it work perfectly, After one year the OS does not have a single Service Pack associated with it! What Vista has is a lot of whiners who are lucky they have learned to use XP over the past six years and are able to say they at least have uhmmmmm... a computer?

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Okay... what are you having success running exactly? Or do you consider a successful install a successful OS? What games do you play, what productivity tools do you use? I couldn't get anything to work without it crashing and the guy in the vid I linked couldn't even open a jpg.

Well - You have the Reliability monitor you could check. (just search on that), as well as other apps inside the OS you could use to troubleshoot. But as I said before: We'll need specific failures and error codes. Posting the old You Tube video doesn't help me solve the problem.

I hate to say this but I strongly suspect user error or user BS. I don't suppose you saw the youtube and just decided to spam us with it for fun?

If you are serious and you are really having these problems then there may be some specific problem with your hardware, software or Vista install. I assure you if this is the case it can be fixed.

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

It's a little late to get it fixed. After two months of trying to "Fix it" I got rid of it (in the trash.) I was just hoping beyond hope that someone would be able to recognize some component or something that just is not vista compatible so I could at least put it behind me and know what the hell went wrong.

julius

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
you really think you would get sympathy, and a bunch of people saying vista blows? go to a mac forum for that... just because an oc works for running xp, does not mean it will be stable in vista, nor is it to install an os while you're ocd anyways...

breetai

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Since you brought it up again, I found the problem unfortunately there is no solution to it. It wasn't the OC I would have replied earlier noting that I tried it with and without the OC to no avail too many came across like microsft fanboys or on the payroll so I've given up on this place. Turned out turned out to be just the kind of thing any fanboy would overlook.

I take it the problem was not Vista's fault, else you would be crowing about it? What was it?

I'm calling BS about the fanboi stuff, what we had here was a case of initial hostility, on your part, which naturally got the kind of response you wanted, troll. Take it elsewhere. We see through your crap,