running 16 bit Windows app in XP - share.exe error

stevie_d

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I have a 16-bit Windows app with a few .ddb database files and a handful of dll's that go with it. On my Windows 95 PC that i'm getting ready to retire (even tho it still runs fine) the program runs without a hitch as long as the dll's and db files are in the same directory with it. I do not have share.exe installed on the Win95 machine.

I'm trying to run it on my XP Home machine and it appears to run just fine until the part where it access one of the .ddb files, and then it throws an alert that "SHARE.EXE has to be loaded before running the application." I have tried placing a share.exe entry in the c:\autoexec.bat just in case the program is looking for it there, but no joy, and none of the compatibility mode stuff worked. I think what is happening is that it goes to put a file lock on the db file and the mechanism for doing that (something OTHER than share.exe) isn't available in XP and so maybe XP is generating the alert?

At any rate, any suggestions other than to get VMWare and run a VMWare Win95 machine? I'm 95% of the way there, just can't deal with file locking apparently.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I have a DOS program that requires I add several lines in the Config.SYS, e.g. DEVICE=your/path/ANSI.SYS, which is in the system 32 folder in XP. These changes are necessary for me to be able to view the program. It's very possible you have to make similar changes but what they are, I have no idea. Could try googling running that particular program in XP or if you have a manual for the program, check that.

stevie_d

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Nod, tried that, no joy. I'm pretty sure it's because those files define the DOS shell environment that kicks off with cmd.exe, but since this is a 16 bit Windows app it's not running in a command shell but in whatever that WOW Windows subsystem is that fires up when 16 bit apps run.

This was an executable compiled by Novell Appware, a long discontinued app - have found nothing in Google about running Appware apps in XP.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Could dual boot with 95 or 98. I've never done but I believe you can run 98 or 95 virtually and you done have to restart the computer to use 95/98. Hopefully someone that has done this can respond but could also google.