naismith

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Hi,

I have a Dell XPS M1710 laptop with 2.33 Ghz C2D processor. I use it for video editing, so the CPU is often running at 80 to 100% speed for up to several hours straight.

I just read with great interest Computronix's article about C2D temperatures, but I am confused on one issue. According to the article Tcase temperature should be +/-15deg c less than Tjunction. According to Speedfan, on my computer the exact opposite is the case. The Tcase temperature (CPU in Speedfan) is always about 15deg more than Tjunction (Core0 and Core1 in Speedfan).

Typically at 80-100% load Speedfan says CPU is at about 65deg c, and Core0 and Core1 are around 50.

But according to TAT and Rightmark CPU Clock Utility, what Speedfan is showing as CPU (meant to be Tcase) is actually Tjunction. (!!!) When I run these two programs then their readings for the 2 cores are more or less exactly the same as Speedfan's reading for what it calls CPU.

But mysteriously Speedfan's readings for what it calls Core0 and Core1 are always practically exactly 15deg c less than what it calls CPU.

So my question is, what is Speedfan calling Core0 and Core1 if they are not actually the 2 cores? Could they be the actual Tcase temperature? They are sometimes the same temperature and sometimes a degree or two different, so I am skeptical about that idea, but I guess it could be true.

Thanks for reading this. I hope it makes sense.

Richard Naismith

My question to you is why are you concerned with the comparison of the readings is your laptop crashing on you?

Core 0 will be 1 of the Cores and Core 1 the other, however the programs label the Cores, really doesn't make any difference.

If you don't have a problem and the machine is working just fine, just use it and don't worry about it.