Please HELP! new build XP problems

clayforhim648

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I bought all my hardware from newegg.com, assembled, powered on, great! Lights, fans, everything works

put in XP install disc and started install, during setup I got an error for this file "usrvpa.dll", it prompted me to retry but I got nothing. Only other option is to skip, and it warns you that if you skip, XP may not run properly. Well I had to do something so I skipped, it finished and installed XP, but...everything seems to be going wrong...

pretty much everwhere i go from there, i have trouble. Tried to install SP1a from a disk and it said it had a corrupt file, tried it a few more times and it finally worked. Stuck my Abit mobo driver disk in...seemed to install everything fine, but sound isn't working, internet connection isn't working.

another strange thing is that i have a 250gb hard drive, but the OS only recognizes 132 gb...what's up with that?

I also tried installing the video driver for my ATI Radeon 2900PRO, again, hit or miss whether things actually install properly. Once i thought I had it installed properly, i tried installing a game. It'll start the install, everything will look good and then all of the sudden the PC boots. I go back into Windows, it allows me to continue the install...then i power up the game after its done and the game gets some error and shuts down within a few minutes.

What's going on? This is a disaster. Is it hardware or XP?

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Ok after a REAL quick search I found that it may have something to do with a US Robotics modem.
Take out the modem or disable it and then try to reinstall windows. After you get windows working correctly try to introduce the modem

clayforhim648

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I ordered a new OEM copy of Windows XP w/ SP2c from newegg.com. The one I'm using now is a copy of Windows XP PRO (corporate edition) that an IT friend of mine uses for his installs. The only thing I could think of was maybe the hardware I'm using is having trouble with the XP disc.

If I get the same errors with this install, then I guess I'll eliminate the software theory. But I don't know where to go from there.

gone fishin'

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Sounds like the disk is old,not that the files ae not there, they just may be hard to read, try putting the windows disk in and see if it wants to repair the install, I doubt the hardware is having an issue with Windows software, If you remove the run32.dll it will force a new installation of Windows,but the real fix would be to slow the cd reader down to 16 or 20x, the disk you are using is a bootable I assume