How to Change Explorers default selection of column headin..

May 14, 2005 12:43:39 AM

Is it possible to permanently configure which columns/field headings are
shown in the Explorer's directory window for a given file type such that if
you create a new directory that's going to contain the same filetype it only
displays those columns and not the default set ? ie. is it possible to
redefine the default headings for a directory of JPG files shown in Detail
mode ?

I'm referring to the type of window you see when you double click upon a
folder (such as My Documents) and then choose from the window's menu ("View"
followed by "Details").

For example, in one of my digital photographs directory I see the following
headings:

Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, Date Picture Take, Dimensions

I really don't need to see the dimensions column, and with a lot of files
within the same folder having this tends to slow things down a bit....
although I can remove it by Right-Clicking the headings and deselecting
"Dimensions", I'm looking for a "global"
way of defining which columns should be shown for a directory containing a
number of similar files.

Regards

Stephen.
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 12:43:40 AM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:43:39 +0900, Steve wrote:

> Is it possible to permanently configure which columns/field headings are
> shown in the Explorer's directory window for a given file type such that if
> you create a new directory that's going to contain the same filetype it only
> displays those columns and not the default set ? ie. is it possible to
> redefine the default headings for a directory of JPG files shown in Detail
> mode ?
>
> I'm referring to the type of window you see when you double click upon a
> folder (such as My Documents) and then choose from the window's menu ("View"
> followed by "Details").
>
> For example, in one of my digital photographs directory I see the following
> headings:
>
> Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, Date Picture Take, Dimensions
>
> I really don't need to see the dimensions column, and with a lot of files
> within the same folder having this tends to slow things down a bit....
> although I can remove it by Right-Clicking the headings and deselecting
> "Dimensions", I'm looking for a "global"
> way of defining which columns should be shown for a directory containing a
> number of similar files.
>

> Regards
>

> Stephen.

Have you tried View> Choose Details... yet?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

View->Choose details is the same as Right Clicking the heading titles.

I'm looking for a way of changing the defaults across the whole filesystem,
not simply on a per folder basis

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:43:39 +0900, Steve wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to permanently configure which columns/field headings are
>> shown in the Explorer's directory window for a given file type such that
>> if
>> you create a new directory that's going to contain the same filetype it
>> only
>> displays those columns and not the default set ? ie. is it possible to
>> redefine the default headings for a directory of JPG files shown in
>> Detail
>> mode ?
>>
>> I'm referring to the type of window you see when you double click upon a
>> folder (such as My Documents) and then choose from the window's menu
>> ("View"
>> followed by "Details").
>>
>> For example, in one of my digital photographs directory I see the
>> following
>> headings:
>>
>> Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, Date Picture Take, Dimensions
>>
>> I really don't need to see the dimensions column, and with a lot of files
>> within the same folder having this tends to slow things down a bit....
>> although I can remove it by Right-Clicking the headings and deselecting
>> "Dimensions", I'm looking for a "global"
>> way of defining which columns should be shown for a directory containing
>> number of similar files.
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Stephen.
>
> Have you tried View> Choose Details... yet?
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:18:10 AM

Steve wrote:
> View->Choose details is the same as Right Clicking the heading titles.
>
> I'm looking for a way of changing the defaults across the whole filesystem,
> not simply on a per folder basis
>

> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>
>>On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:43:39 +0900, Steve wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to permanently configure which columns/field headings are
>>>shown in the Explorer's directory window for a given file type such that
>>>if
>>>you create a new directory that's going to contain the same filetype it
>>>only
>>>displays those columns and not the default set ? ie. is it possible to
>>>redefine the default headings for a directory of JPG files shown in
>>>Detail
>>>mode ?
>>>
>>>I'm referring to the type of window you see when you double click upon a
>>>folder (such as My Documents) and then choose from the window's menu
>>>("View"
>>>followed by "Details").
>>>
>>>For example, in one of my digital photographs directory I see the
>>>following
>>>headings:
>>>
>>> Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, Date Picture Take, Dimensions
>>>
>>>I really don't need to see the dimensions column, and with a lot of files
>>>within the same folder having this tends to slow things down a bit....
>>>although I can remove it by Right-Clicking the headings and deselecting
>>>"Dimensions", I'm looking for a "global"
>>>way of defining which columns should be shown for a directory containing
>>>number of similar files.
>>>

>>>Regards
>>>

>>>Stephen.
>>
>>Have you tried View> Choose Details... yet?
>>
>>--
>>Sharon F
>>MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Not real sure if this is what you want but, right click in the col
headings and uncheck the ones you don't want to see. Then go to Tools
Folder options > View. Hit the apply to all folders button. This
should remove that col from ALL of your folders.

gls858