Sign in with
Your question

Vista Ultimate x64 very unstable

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 28, 2008 12:35:26 AM

Hi, I just build my new rig and installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit and it is incredible slow. When I do most things it is very fast but anytime I click browse for more files or go to open an executible it is very slow. For example, if I pick "my computer" it takes over a minute for the drives to show up. If I try to install a program I get a 30 second wait followed by a box asking if its ok to run it. If I go to tell the program to install and click the little folder it says not responding and takes a while to open.

Everything copies fast and everything so I dont think my hard drive is slow. Its a Samsung Spinpoint blah blah 500gb.

I have a Q6600 quad core clocked at 3 ghz with 4 gigs of ram and a 8600GTS (until next month). It shouldnt be this slow. Is this common in Vista x64? Explorer hanging no matter what I do? My "experience rating" or whatever they call it is 5.6 because of the graphics card, they rated the hard drive at 5.7 and the other 3 things at 5.9.

Sorry for the rambling Im in a hurry the boss is telling me to get to work
January 28, 2008 1:55:22 PM

There is DEFINITELY something wrong. Just a few guesses:

Any external drives or flash drives connected? Disk in the optical drive? Network drives mapped? Try running off the network with no network devices connected.

m
l
January 29, 2008 12:20:32 AM

No network, no disk in optical drive. I have a 500 gig external drive that is full. Is it trying to go through the entire file structure on both drives every time I click browse? It is horrible.

In case nobody knows what Im talking about, say Im installing a app and it asks where I would like to install it. I click browse to choose my location, when I click that little folder icon the software hangs and it takes 30 seconds to a minute to open.
m
l
Related resources
January 29, 2008 12:49:49 AM

Unhook the external and see if the problem goes away.
m
l
January 29, 2008 12:55:41 AM

Haha, good idea what was I thinking. When I get home I will try that.

When I go to open my new drive I remember that green bar in the box that shows the directory slooooowly goes up and takes forever to show the contents of the drive. Its wierd, on XP this was instantaneous...is this for search indexing or something? How can I make that faster?
m
l
January 29, 2008 2:25:59 AM

nkarasch said:
Haha, good idea what was I thinking. When I get home I will try that.

When I go to open my new drive I remember that green bar in the box that shows the directory slooooowly goes up and takes forever to show the contents of the drive. Its wierd, on XP this was instantaneous...is this for search indexing or something? How can I make that faster?

Not sure what you would do next. Shouldn't be slowing you down that much unless something is amis. Is Nero 'scout' installed, or any other indexer?
m
l
January 29, 2008 2:38:58 AM

Nope, I dont think so. I have Nero 8 installed but scout isnt showing up under my computer like it is on my laptop.

I have another quickie. When I go to launch an executible it always asks me if its ok to run. This computer isnt even connected to the internet so Im not worried about security, how can I disable this? I only have one account and its an admin account and it still asks. Also when I go to delete a file I have to click to pop-up boxes saying its ok
m
l
January 29, 2008 3:59:22 AM

I saw your DVD thread, sounds possible that it is the culprit - if windows can't tell if there is a disk in there it may get confused and keep trying to read the drive!
m
l
January 30, 2008 3:15:34 AM

Hey you are right, I unhooked my dvd drive and everything works perfect. Thanks a lot, now I have to swap mine for one of the work ones on an XP machine.
m
l
!