Last response: in Windows Vista
January 28, 2008 3:22:25 AM

My specs are
q6600
asus maximus formula
pc p&c 750 silencer
evga gts 512<probably need to rma not wkg so using 8300gs
4gb gskill 2x2 444-12 timings

I installed vista and it posted and booted windows fine. I rebboted t least a half dozen times and vista always started fine, a little slow but fine. I ran prime for 6 hours and then it crashed when I was away from it.
I cant boot vista now either. I tried to repair it but it either stays at the loading files screen or its a BSOD and tells me a ram error.
I also flashed the bios 0907 before I ran prime. seemed to work fine but it did change my timings to 5-5-5-15 instead of 4-4-4-12
any ideas why this would happen?
and how do I get past the blue screen?
one other thing. vista had a nice look to it, but it took a long time to start any program. I would click on prime95 to start it, it would wait almost a minute and then it would ask me If I wanted to allow it to run. I understand asking me about running, but why so slow at starting it etc??? bit of a moot point since it wont load at all now but maybe someone else had the same experience with it

Thx for the help

More about : build problem vista

January 28, 2008 8:36:44 AM

Very important question: Did you reset the Bios back to stock before you flashed it???
January 28, 2008 1:42:34 PM

Sounds like maybe a RAM problem - possibly bad ram or incorrectly configured or maybe even incompatible, though my buddy is using gskill 2 gig stick on his maximus formula too. It was not on the QVL (approved) list at Asus though.

His G skill is 2.1 v but the BIOS defaults to 1.8. This may be your problem.

Try this - take out 1 stick and run with 1 stick only. Go into BIOS and adjust vdimm to mfg spec. - likely 2.1 but check your specs to be sure. It will be on the RAM stick itself on the label. Now try to boot Vista. I think this setting is on the page where you set bus speed and memory spped etc. RAM voltage setting is what you want.

If it fails you may have already corrupted your Vista install. Try booting off the Windows disk and going into the repair console and then running chkdsk on the HD and then if that fails try a repair install of Vista.

If you get a stable install with this, still with 1 stick of RAM, then add back the extra stick.

If you are still having problems downlaod 'memtest86' and test each stick individually and then together. There is also a RAM test on the Vista disk.
Related resources
January 28, 2008 1:59:42 PM

scott: I flashed to 0907 from 0505. It comes stock at 0505

notherdude. I think my ram is 2.0-2.1. it did change the timings so maybe it changed the voltage. I will try it and let you know
thanks guys
January 28, 2008 3:16:39 PM

ok I put one stick in and changed the voltage to first 2.0 which didnt work and then to 2.1. In 0907 you need to change the ai overclock tuner to manual to change vdimm. threw me for a bit.
I booted windows in safe mode and then restored to a point where I did all of the security updates. but not all of the optional ones. want to eliminate that as a problem.
could asus ai suite cause a problem? I installed it looked at it and it didnt seem to be working correctly. the screen that comes up all of the values were 0000, as in temp etc. so I uninstaled it. then I added the utilities from the asus disk and thats when my probs began. so i shuld be at a point now where they are not installed
could the utilities on asus disk cause a problem? anyone know?
Im going to let it restore now and see.
I also did a memtest with the windows disk. I will do memtest86 once I get it running.
January 28, 2008 3:25:03 PM

Quote:
could asus ai suite cause a problem?

YES! I read on a forum a warning NOT to install them on the maximus. I read this on several different forums too, even at the Asus forum. Sorry don't have time to look up details but go to the Asus forum and it's pretty easy to find.

Your own experience implicates the suite. Uninstall it for sure and do your tuning in the BIOS, always better anyway.
January 28, 2008 4:27:44 PM

windows wouldnt restore. Im going to run memtest on both sticks of my ram. I get a memory dump and bsod. but I get it with my other ram also?? so dont know.
thx for the asus info
January 28, 2008 5:36:20 PM

Im running memtest now on both gskill 2gb dimms.
Im thinking it was the aisuite that also corrupted vista

Im going to format the drive. do you know of a utility that will do that for me that I can burn on a disk and boot itand then reformat drive and then ill reinstall vista. I want to reformat to be safe
January 28, 2008 5:51:43 PM

mweidler said:
Im running memtest now on both gskill 2gb dimms.
Im thinking it was the aisuite that also corrupted vista

Im going to format the drive. do you know of a utility that will do that for me that I can burn on a disk and boot itand then reformat drive and then ill reinstall vista. I want to reformat to be safe

The Vista disk will do it. When you get to the page where available disks are displayed there will be a disk tools menu near the bottom of the page. Use that to delete current Vista partition and any other partitons on that drive you do not want to save. After that you will see your drive as 'unallocated'. Then simply tell Vista to install to the unallocated space and it will both partition and format automatically.
January 28, 2008 6:30:54 PM

great, thankyou very much. memtest is on its 2nd pass and still good. about 2-3 hoursso far with both dimms.

Im going to reinstall vista and then break the asus utility disk in half lol
illupdate then
thx for all of your help notherdude, youve been a big resource
January 28, 2008 6:58:06 PM

You are welcome. Hope it works.
January 28, 2008 8:12:02 PM

ok, I installed vista with all 4 gigs of ram. semed to go ok. but when checking system performance, the last thing it does before it brings you into vista. it hung up. I powered it down. took out one stick of ram.
repowered and it booted and went back to where it checks your system performance. went fine, then right into vista.
Im installing the critical updates now.
Im thinking I should send this memory back. memtest went fine. but maybe its just finnicky with vista64.
Im going to do all of the updates, reboot a few times and then I will put the second stick back in. and check and probably run prime95 for a while or overnight.
what does your friend that has the gskill ram think of it? Is he using vista64? I bought it because it had good timings and was relatively cheap.
I had heard that the best way to install vista is with one stick for some reason, know anything about that?
if I do replace the ram, do you have a recommendation. 2x2, i want to go to 8gb eventually.
since I cant use the asus software. do you have a recommendation for software needed to analyze temps, and whatever else ill need.
thx again, I know its alot of qustions :) 
January 28, 2008 8:47:13 PM

Hmmm . . .I'm not sure. Have you tried running it at 5,5,5,15? Instead of 4,4,4,12? That might fix the problem.

That RAM was not on Asus's approved list,IIRC. So maybe try another brand.

Yes, my friend is using V 64 but I'm not sure if he has even put his second stick in yet. I'll call him and try to find out.

There is a bug on some systems when you try to install Vista with 3 gig or more but installing with two and them adding the extra was supposed to be a workaround. You can read about it here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

There were precious few 2 gig sticks on that ASUS list, IIRC. The list is in the manual, BTW, In the memory section. MOBOs are pickier about 2 gig sticks than they are about 1 gig, or so it seems.

Speedfan is a good monitoring program that works with v 64..
January 28, 2008 9:37:39 PM

ok, I reinstalled vista, went ok with one ram dimm in
rebooted 3-4 times everything good
I added the second dimm in and got a bsod after entering vista
I shut it down then moved the ram to the white dimms. rebooted and got into vista. rebooted 3 more times to make sure no problems. so far ok
Im running prime95 on it now and probably til it crashes or til tomorrow afternoon

one other thing, after I moved the dimms to the white slots and started it up it said "overclock failed" at boot. went into bios and I changed the timings to auto
it reset them to 5-5-5-15, I also left the frequency at auto. and I rebooted and it started vista.

anything im doing wrong here? If this doesnt work I will return the ram and get something from the approved list. thx again notherdude
January 28, 2008 10:09:10 PM

OK, talked to my friend, he's having some problems too, blue screen whenever he runs Ntune, Crysis crashing. I told him to take out the second stick. I'm going to visit him tomorrow with some 1 gig sticks. I'll let you know how it goes.
January 28, 2008 10:39:25 PM

great thanks. prime95 hasnt crashed yet, so far so good.
where are you guys from/ Im on long island
January 28, 2008 10:45:39 PM

Central Virginia here.
January 29, 2008 11:02:49 AM

prime has been running for 15 hours, so far so good. Thats with both Dimms in the white slots. I saw on another board that the maximus seems to work better that way.
you are right about asus not liking 2x2 gb ram sticks. only two different models. one of which I never heard of. The other was over $189 for each Dimm.
I think I might stay with the G Skill at that price. If It ends up not being stable I will have to go with 1gb Dimms.
I think the relaxed timings helped. good idea.
I left the frequency to auto, which I beleive means it runs at 667, not 800. am I correct in this?
and when I go to 400x9 when I overclock it will then default to 800, right?
good luck with your friends PC. let me know what happens
January 29, 2008 12:42:55 PM

Quote:
I left the frequency to auto, which I beleive means it runs at 667, not 800. am I correct in this?
and when I go to 400x9 when I overclock it will then default to 800, right?

From the q6600 OC guide:
Quote:
DRAM Frequency - This the speed your RAM will run. For now set it for double the FSB you plan to use to overclock (for example if you’re running a 333 MHz FSB, set it for 667; if you’re running a 290 MHz FSB, set it to 580, etc.) Remember the RAM is DDR2 so divide that 667 by 2 to get 333 or the ratio of the CPU-to-DRAM is 333:333 or 1:1

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

I believe what I did for my e6600 (which has same bus and multi as q6600) was to set the RAM speed manually to 533 and then set the ratio (RAM to CPU) at 1/1. Then as you crank up the bus speed the RAM speed rises and by the time you hit 400 you are at 800.

Did you adjust the RAM to 5,5,5,15 and put them in the white slots at the same time? I'm trying to figure out if you can determine if one or the other was what got it running.
January 29, 2008 1:44:32 PM

basically I did both at once and it semed to work. but that wasnt my intention. I installed vista with one stick at 4-4-4-12. in the blue slot.
when i went with the two dimms I remembered reading about it being better, for whatever reason, to use the white slots. so i shutdown and moved the dimms to the white slots. got an overclocking error, which was weird because I hadnt overclocked anything. unless it considered my ram OC'd at 4-4-4-12.
I went into the bios and set it to auto. which defaulted it to 5-5-5-15.
from there its worked since with no crashes.
so it seems like it needed both to work
January 29, 2008 1:48:56 PM

where is the ratio setting?
so what i would do is manually set ram frequency to 533. then when I change the FSB to 400mhz it will automatically go to 800.
for some reason I thought I had to set ram fre to 667<which i think the board defaults to anyway.
But If I left it at 667 when i went 400 FSB my ram would be running over 800mhz<1066 maybe?>. which Im not looking to do because I heard its better to keep the 1/1 ratio, as well as running cooler.
January 29, 2008 3:06:48 PM

mweidler said:
where is the ratio setting?
so what i would do is manually set ram frequency to 533. then when I change the FSB to 400mhz it will automatically go to 800.
for some reason I thought I had to set ram fre to 667<which i think the board defaults to anyway.
But If I left it at 667 when i went 400 FSB my ram would be running over 800mhz<1066 maybe?>. which Im not looking to do because I heard its better to keep the 1/1 ratio, as well as running cooler.

That's how I remember. Start at 533 RAM and general bus speed 266. By the time your bus is 400 your RAM should be 800 (400 at DDR). But read the guide to be sure.

RAM/CPU ratio should be on page with bus speed. May be called 'RAM divider' or some such name.
January 29, 2008 4:02:42 PM

ok thx.
Im going to let it burn in for a couple weeks then overclock it.<that is if its still stable when I get home, friggin work always gets in the way of fun :) 
I was just going to try and get to 3.2, but looking at others specs I think I will go for 3.6. I might have to reseat my heatsink though, not sure I applied it right. I spread it around when I should have just left it in a line. but I will see how hot it gets first
January 29, 2008 8:33:43 PM

24 hours stable now so that great. I have a question about speedfan. Im typing on the new build btw
I downloaded 4.33. Im a bit confused though.
reading are as folows on the right side of speedfan
system 29 c
cpu 26 c
aux 11c
temp 1 -48c
temp 2 -48c
temp 3 0
cpu 101 c
internal temp 99c
remote temp 103
core 0: 25 c
is that right? I assume the first cpu reading of 26c is the correct one, because if its 101c it should have shut down or blown up
the NB and SB feel very cool, not hot at asll and its been on a steady 24 hours.
did I install the wrong version or Im reading it wrong

January 29, 2008 8:39:10 PM

cpu usage is also showing zero when i know its 100% because I still have prime running
!