Help needed on missing oleaut32.dll file

spartak19

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
:fou:
I have got a problem when booting my PC i have looked everywhere and found some cure's but they dont seem to be for the exact error i have got.

I am getting a message when i first try to get into Windows it says " This application has failed to start because OLEAUT32.dll was not found. Re-Installing the application may fix this problem"

In the blue bit at the top of the box it also says Isass.exe - Unable to Locate Component.

If i keep pressing the x on this box it lets me log into windows my background picture appears but nothing else. I get the same message but this time it says userinit.exe - Unable to locate component i press the X and it says the same but explorer.exe in the corner. It then just shows my background picture and nothing else.

If i CTL ALT DEL it says the same box but taskmanager.exe in the corner but then the task manager comes on i cnat really do nothing else.

I would like to fix the problem instead of just loading windows in over the top due to having pictures which i havent backed up and if i lose them the wife will kill me.

I hope somebody can help..... :cry:

sturm

Splendid
have you tried downloading the dll and reinstalling it?
Can you get into safe mode?

A repair install will not delete your drive. It will only install windows over itself leaving all other files untouched. You would then need to reinstall all updates and patches.

spartak19

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I can get into safe mode buts its just same has normal the background apears with nothing else. All i can do is CTL ALT DEL but cant run anything through that due to getting the same message but different things in the blue bar depending on what i am trying to start.

How do i do a repair install???

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Have you tried a Window's Repair off the CD, I've never had much luck with this but worth a try. Your best bet would be to install your hdd in another computer and back up your pictures, etc. Hdd are really inexpensive, could get a 2nd one and copy your data to that, do a clean install of Windows, and then put in the second drive for storage or you could either buy or put together an external drive. Putting it together would be better. If you don't want to get a second drive, at least partition your drive, Partition Magic is very good, and keep your data on the second partition. When you need to reinstall Windows just format the partition your using for Windows, your data should be safe

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Partition Magic is indeed very nice.

How do i do a repair install???
It's easy. Just pop in your OS CD and boot to it. Go about it like you're doing a normal OS install (DO NOT USE RECOVERY CONSOLE!) and get to the screen where it asks you to select the HDD / Partition. From there you should be able to select your OS partition and hit 'R' (or whatever the repair key claims to be on your screen).

If you do this and it still doesn't correct your problem, then go with g-paw's suggestion of backing up and doing a fresh install.

spartak19

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Just to give you a update - I am in the middle of doing a repair install, i just hope it doesnt wipe the photographs of.

I will let you know how i get on

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

That being said, you really should backup those photos now even if the Repair works. There is no price to0 high to avoid a pi$$ed off wife after you've wiped out something that's really important to her, especially if it's irreplaceable. :??:

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
sounds like a payload virus how to fix without a boot virus scanner checking http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/isass.html
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?oleaut32

spartak19

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I loaded Windows back in but half way through it some messages came up saying certain things didnt load. Once it was finished it went back just the same has it is now.

Due to work commitments i havent been able to do anything until tonight.

I have got another copy of Windows but when i try to install windows it is asking me for the Administrator password, i cant for the life of me think what it is, i think it asked me last time but cant remember,how can i get passed this bit?????????

spartak19

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
THANKS A LOT everybody who helped me. The password i needed was the BIOS one, i clicked on the link rgeist554 posted and it helped me by repairing the windows a different way than i was trying.

Anyway the wife is happy now.

iluffrobotsmetoo

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Hi I'm having the same exac problem, but I don't know how to boot to the OS CD. It's in the CD drive I turned on the computer, but the same message about missing the oleut32.dll keeps popping up.

G

For the next person with this problem, I just had the problem and fixed it too. I looked for the file on another PC, noted the location/directory, and copied it to a jump drive. Then I started up my desktop, and hit F8 in the startup sequence (instead of the other two options offered - think it was F1 and F12...something like that)

Then, selected the option to start at the drive prompt in DOS, kind of like going back to the 80's. Then at the "C:" I went to "cd WINDOWS" then "cd system32" which took me to "C:\WINDOWS\system32" (where I had found the file on my laptop.

Then i did a "copy F:\oleut32.dll"

For folks more conversant with dos commands there's probably a more elegant/simpler way...i was just really stretching my memory, as its been so long with that stuff and I have lost all my old books with the commands - sure its on the web though

anyway it worked. I did have to do some tweaking, as I had been messing around with some of the otjher solutions offered and I had tried some of the Administrator logins (without success)

But once i logged back into Win NT as myself, it was all as before