I have processor intel core i3 which linux distro can i install

Fedra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Hi, I have too many doubts about installing linux on my computer. I have a toshiba a505 4gb ram and a intel core i3 processor. I tried ubuntu without installing but it didnt work, also I have installed centos and when I turn on the computer the grub appears showing centos and windows7 but the only thing I get when I select the linux option is a black screen, I am really confused. I would appreciate if someone can give me a hint of what is wrong, or how can I do in order to work in linux in this computer.

PD: Sorry about my english there are several years I don't write a single sentence.

Fedra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I downloaded fedora 12 the live cd... but after the blue screen that says fedora I got a black screen telling me about some errors. I will try ubuntu 9.04 let's see what happen ...Now I'm working in virtualbox I create a machine and I finally installed ubuntu , do you know if there are disadvantages working in that way?

paleoJunky

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Just built a 530 machine with Ubuntu 9.10 using the on board graphics and h55 chipset. After having some lag and video freezes I found some posts (sorry don't have the links) that said manually upgrading to the latest kernel may help and there is also evidence that Gnome is the problem. I upgraded the kernel and that fixed the freezes. The applications lagged at times so I installed Kubuntu-desktop (Ubuntu's KDE) on top of it. KDE seems to have fixed the lagging issues.

chamaecyparis

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
@macman101010

"Intel's Core i3 530 is an interesting, low to mid-range processor. Intel's Clarkdale family was just introduced earlier this month, but it will work with recent Linux distributions and should work particularly well with the distributions coming around in H1'2010 that are using the Linux 2.6.32 kernel (or newer). Found in the newer kernel is support for the integrated graphics processor and other work."
-- http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_corei3_530&num=9

Why not go with Linux Mint debian 32-bit (201101)? 64-bit ubuntu is not getting good reviews.
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=66

Any Debian-based distro allows usage of the award-winnning smxi script, which simplifies things immensely (not available for 'buntu-based distros) http://smxi.org/site/install.htm

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Yes, but with a PAE kernel, it can address up to 64 GB.

Without PAE it can theoretically address 4 GB, but it has to be able to address other things too, so it ends up less. The same will apply to with PAE, but as it is taking a similar amount of space off 64 GB, it doesn't matter.

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Nothing that I can think of, I'm just pointing out the limitations of using a 32-bit linux OS on a system with more than 4gb of ram.

I was having a problem with 64 bit on my laptop because of a buggy BIOS, switching to 32bit worked flawlessly until the kernel had a workaround for the BIOS bug. Worked like a charm, but I went back to 64 to be able to provide bug reports to my distro.