Need help with uninstalling Ubuntu

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Sorry I need to be more specific. The laptop was previously installed with Vista 32 bits. When I got the ubuntu live cd or w/e it gave me the option to (permanently?) remove my old OS and make Ubuntu as the primary OS. However, I do not like Ubuntu and I am unable to switch back to Windows. When I put the Windows installation CD, it says that it can not find any hard drive. Guys please help. I'm new to Ubuntu and everything so I don't know what to do.

randomizer

Champion
Assuming you have your data backed up and don't need anything that is currently on the hard drive, you can just run the Windows installer and format the existing partitions (or delete them and create new ones). Then it's just a matter of installing and done. It may be a little more complex if you want to keep data on the drive.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

I did but it said it couldn't find my hard drive. I was previously using Vista but then I chose that option on Ubuntu that removes everything and make it the primary OS. Now I'm stuck.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

Really? Cause at my work i just clean installed about 10 computers with xp on SATA drives without having to do anything special (although all the mobos were quiet old, pentium 4's and they only had 1 sata connector)

The original versions of XP had no SATA drivers. Just read these forums - you'll find loads of questions about trying to install XP on SATA drives. Have a look at this link also.

Of course there are loads of different SATA controllers, and different BIOS options, which might explain your success. But if the OP is trying to install pre-SP3 XP on a SATA drive that seems the most likely explanation for the behaviour mentioned.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Wait. The laptop was previously installed with Vista 32bit but I picked the option to remove my previous OS and install Ubuntu as the primarily OS. Now I want to switch back to window but it says that it can not find any hard drive. Does anyone know how to fix this? Oh I am trying to install Windows Pro since I can't find my brother's vista cds.