Freezer 7 sux for ocing?

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hi

I have a C2D E6600, paired with 1gig 667mhz ram. So I thought I'd overclock the cpu to ~3ghz and use a 1:1 ram/fsb divider. So I bought the AC freezer7 pro, thinking it was a fairly good cooler for such a mild oc. But the temp here in my room is already 28C, and cpu cores idle at 40C.

using TAT, max temp is around ~52C (stock). after reading guides, etc I did my first ever overclock, just raising the fsb to 280mhz, resulting in a 120mhz cpu overclock. So I decided to run a stress test and check the temperatures. Using TAT, max temps were ~58C!! with just a 120mhz oc??

I donno, but something isnt right. should I buy a new cooler? or can I do something to my existing setup? Tnx :)

EDIT: btw here's a pic of my current stup:
http://img503.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img4803dc5.jpg

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Maybe try to re-apply the the heatsink, because something is wrong there. Mine doesnt get to 58c on load until I go over 2.9ghz with 1.375v or higher! @ 2.80ghz my temps dont go over 53c on load! I use Core Temp and Orthos for these readings. But note that I also use no side panel on my Antec P-180, because my computer is inside of a computer desk, which has somewhat close sides, but no back or front to block airflow.

Best,

3Ball

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I was thinking that its because of the higher ambient temps that are causing it to be inefficient. Other thoughts were that the cpu IHS is not flat, but I remember when I removed the stock heatsink, the stock paste was evenly spread on both cpu and hs.

Other checks:
>Heatsink is seated properly, and making good contact. And its still with the stock MX-1 (they say its the best for this cooler :) )
>Fan is running at full speed
>airflow is not a problem (those vantecs push a lot of air, though not that silent :? )
>tnx 3Ball :)

any more help?

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
well u could try scraping off the current thermal paste and lapping both the heatsink and the cpu and then applying some arctic silver 5 and see how that works. I have seen people goin anywhere from 4 - 8c drop when doing this.

Best,

3Ball

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I have the same setup (E6600 +AC freezer7 pro) paired with a Gigabyte 965 DS4 and 2 gigs of Crucial 667 ram. My ambient temp is now 27 C and i get 47 C at idle and 58 C at 100% load, measured with TAT. My overclock is 9*333 = 2996 and after testing with Orthos, i lowered the core voltage to 1,25v. The result is rock stable and i suspect that i can get it to even lower temps by lowering the core voltage a little more.
I would not suggest lapping anything because it would void your warranty and anyway, if you want a lapped cooler, sell the freezer and go for a lapped one instead. It is not really worth your trouble and dangers it involves.
Check the speed of the freezer fan, as it will stay at 650 RPM if not controlled on some mboards. Test your system with lower core volts and also install an extra intake fan in front of the case to blow some air on the freezer if you can. If everything else fails, check your installation of the freezer (best way is to remove and reinstall along with the motherboard) to check if something has gone wrong there. Apply shinetshu thermal paste which is much better than AS5 (5C lower temps). Last measure would be to buy another cooler, more expensive though. Good luck!

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
I forgot! raise your overclock to 9*333 and check temps there. I have seen strange non linearities with C2D overclocks lately... Also, sorry for repeating some steps you have already taken. Just to be on the safe side...

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I dont want to lap the processor for sure, but i've thought about the heatsink. :roll:

I'll start with some new thermal paste (shin etsu or however its written :oops:) , if it doesnt work I'll have to buy a new cooler.

tnx guys :D

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Mine idles at 39ºc and tops at 61ºc dual orthos at 3.4Ghz and 1.3500Vcore.
Won't pass 59ºc rendering/gaming etc at full load.

BTW, fan is at 2100rpm, not at 2800.

I'd reset the cooler and check your case airflow.

The AC freezer isn't the best, and I believe 3.4ghz is the max for this cooler. If you wanna go higher, go with water.

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
naahhh 3ghz is enough (for me)! its like having a Core2 xtreme! will be more than happy :lol:

I'll try reseating it

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
You are right , it is shin etsu.
But do not buy a new cooler before experimenting with your overclocking settings, especially cpu voltage. You see, e6600s come in two flavors. One of them, SL9S8 has a larger margin of acceptable voltage, i.e. 0.850V-1.3525V.

All motherboards by default are setting the voltage at it's higher acceptable level (1.3525V). C2Ds are flexible overclockers and not power hungry beasts, so try definitely to lower your e6600 voltage, as you will immediately see temps dropping. @ stock speeds it only takes 1.15 V to normally operate your cpu. So check your version of 6600 with cpu-z (for example) and lower your voltage accordingly, then test with orthos for stability.

Of course not all cpus are made exactly the same, but you should be able to reach 3Ghz @ 1.25v with perfectly acceptable temps. Test before you spend. I will be more than glad to help you.

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Yes, below 60@ load is very, very safe. Of course you should think about your ambient temps, summer coming fast (northen hemisphere lol) and leave some room. More than 65 will not destroy the cpu either but hell, all we do is modestly overclocking the darn thing!!!

Edit. Sorry, the post is a reply to THORNado, not PMR.

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Firstly, it's not clear what temps you are quoting in your posts. There should be a 15C difference between your Core temps (tJunction) and CPU temps (tCase).

Read the excellent Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide on these forums to understand the difference.

If you are referring to core temps (as I think you are), then a core temp of 60C is perfectly safe, if it is an accurate reading :p . This would relate to a CPU temp reading of around 45C.

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
A few points. The freezer pro is never recommended as one of the top performing coolers. Where it excels is it's combination of cost, performance, ease of install, noise and low weight.

Ambient of 28 is quite high and given that you're temps look OK.

The thermal compound that came with you're fp7 is well rated and is supposed to improve by about 2c after about a week.

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
that's the thing that made me buy this cooler. The cost/performance, but I always knew that I wasn't going to overclock to the limits, so I thought that it would be suitable. In winter, temps were excellent and everything, but now all of a sudden they went sky high!

To aoe > The first temps I mentioned were clearly core temps using Intel TAT tool. I'm using speedfan (core temp just crashes :? ). these are the current (semi-idle) non-overclocked readings:
Cpu: 40C
Core 0: 42C
Core 1: 41C
and everest is reporting similar temps.

Now I'll just push it to ~3Ghz and see how everything goes. Hope it works well :) ! if not, i'll buy an Ultra 120 xtreme :twisted: (only if I could afford it :( *sigh*)

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
You seem to be getting the same temp reading problems as I have on my system. My CPU and Core temps are around the same at idle and in thoery there should be a 15C difference (CPU being 15C lower than Core).

I have no idea why as yet, but I suspect a dodgy sensor. I've resurrected one of my old threads with the details. If I get an answer I'll let you know.

drewaz

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I've got the same setup (E6600, Freezer 7 Pro) and i run my cpu at 3.6Ghz (1.35V) at the moment with 400mhz fsb and i get 36C at idle and around 50C at full load. I did couple things to achieve temp like that. first i set FAN speed control method to Legacy and Fan speed control mode to PWM (that's in BIOS) and also had to put some extra fans in my case..

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
Could you please be more specific? What are your ambient temps? What kind of thermal paste did you use? How do you measure your temps and what do you use for load stressing? Does your rig pass 24h orthos test?
You have achieved almost impossible temperatures @ 3.6 with only Freezer to help you. If everything is right, you put us all to shame :oops:

I am only curious :D

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Could you please be more specific? What are your ambient temps? What kind of thermal paste did you use? How do you measure your temps and what do you use for load stressing? Does your rig pass 24h orthos test?
You have achieved almost impossible temperatures @ 3.6 with only Freezer to help you. If everything is right, you put us all to shame :oops:

I am only curious :D

I would like to know that also.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I have the E6600 with a DS3 with the Freezer 7 pro and AS5 @ 3.2ghz (400x8) and it never goes above 55C even after 32hours of dual prime95 torture testing.
I thought these temps were good.

I also have the Freezer 7 pro with my e4300 without AS5 @ 2.7ghz and after 32hours of torture testing it was at 53C and it adles at 35C as i write this.

Outside its about 100F (~37.5C) in Phoenix but I have my AC at 80F (~26.5C). Plus its a little hotter here in my office with my wifes PD @3.2. on all day.

I would suggest you remount the heatsink and add some AS5. I think this fan is pretty good for midrange OCing. Especially when it costs ~$22 plus shipping on pricegrabber.