BSOD after cold boot

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
This is when I wish I had a spare copy of XP pro lying around! Anyways, this is a new buil that is not even a day old and I made the mistake of installing of vista home premium. After letting the computer sit for about 8 hours I did a cold boot, mother board posts as normal and and just as Vista starts the loading bar starts and then I blue screen and the system reboots. I try the repair options (which takes a LONG time to start) but no hard drive apear on the repair option. I try load drivers option but no drivers appear for me to load. I would prefer not to do a reformat if at all possible; if it comes to it im dumping vista and going back to faithful XP pro.

System Specs:

Gigabyte P35-DSrL
Q6600-over clocked to 3.0 Ghz
HyperX Kingston PC6400- overclocked to 890 MHz
Seagate 7200.11 500 Gb
PC-Power 1 Kilowatt (got it for 40 bucks!)
PNY 7900GS

Yea, you're right. It's just Vista. No XP installs have ever petered out so fast. XP is foolproof. No point suggesting any help then.

But then again . . it's a new build. still in burn in. It could be many things. Try memtest and chkdsk. Did you make any changes at all? Sure your OC was stable? How'd you determine that? Memory at correct voltage?

Revert to unoverclocked settings while troubleshooting. 890 may be too fast for your RAM. At least relax the timings to 5,5,5,15. That could be the problem right there.

When OC start the RAM at a very low speed so that it rises with the increasing FSB. No point in OC the RAM at all. OC the RAM has very little performance impact on current Intel systems. It's just a recipe for potential instability.

After that I'd try chkdsk first. Also try Segate tools on it if chkdsk doesn't help.

How does the HD show up in BIOS? Does it show up at all, correctly detected?

SATA controller set to "IDE mode"?

slickjr169

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
The drive is detected by the bios and shows all 500gb mind you running the fix vista option the drive could not be seen.Resat the cables and repositioned the drive onto Sata 1 instead of zero. I was able to boot and get into the OS. I ran a chkdsk through DOS command and I got no error sectors from the drive. I did a restart of the machine and the it hung at the shutdown screen for quite some time (approx 5 min). Performed a hard shutdown. Rebooted and once again the original problem occured; blue screens the second vista begins to load, also reverted the ram back to 5-5-5-15 and its running at 2.0 volts. Down clocked the proccessor back to 266 Mhz. Never messed with the IDE configuration and AHCI is disabled.

On another note, how do I run the seagate tools from bios (bootable floppy)?

On another note, how do I run the seagate tools from bios (bootable floppy)?

Or from CD. I usually download hiren's boot cd. Bunch of tools on it, including Segate. http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd.

You seem to have an intermittent and unpredictable problem. There may be one underlying cause in the hardware somewhere, perhaps that caused some secondary problems with the Vista installation and/or the drive format itself.

I'd try to establish a healthy drive and healthy RAM first. Memtest86 is on the Hiren disk too. Then try to rerformat and reinstall if you still can't reliably boot the OS.

I'd also unhook all usb devices and unnecessary drives and cards while trouble shooting and check for loose connections and shorts. Reseat the video card and RAM and try also just using 1 stick of RAM. Once you find a stable platform start adding stuff back in.

You might have a quirky motherboard issue. Maybe try a BIOS update or check a board specific forum for your model.