Sign in with
Your question

How to de-couple XP in dual boot System

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 2, 2008 1:43:13 AM

I have Windows XP and Vista running on two separate drives as a dual boot. I did this to try and evaluate Vista and ensure that there will be no hardware hicups. Now I think I do not need to carry both OS anymore. How do I remove Windows XP and leave Vista as the only OS. I hope I won't have to reinstall Vista.
February 5, 2008 10:45:10 AM

You could probably use bcdedit in vista to edit your boot.ini and remove the reference to XP. Alternatively there is an application out there called Vista Boot Pro that makes editing the boot.ini in Vista easy. Once your pc is booting directly to vista without a boot menu, you could simply format the drive with XP installed.
m
l
February 5, 2008 3:13:25 PM

But there is no boot.ini in Vista. :( 

I have a similar problem: Was having issues with Vista, so I started to put Xp on a back drive. I loaded the initial files, but upon reboot to finish the install, my system refused to recognize the dvd drives and the usb ports! Couldn't get in to Vista, couldn't finish the load of XP.

I sat down with my laptop and coffee the next morning and fread and learned in Vista I could 'hold down F8' if the keyboard and mouse weren't working. That got me into Vista and I did a restore system which made my drives work again. Needless to say: I don't want a dual boot system anymore. Just call me chicken. So I deleted the boot files on the back drive and thought it all good. *sigh*

I am getting a 'disk read error, hit Control, Alt and Delete to restart', rinse, repeat. If I hit F8 to go to the boot menu, I am given a screen to select which drive to boot from (this is normal... I think) I select the front drive and the system boots and acts normal from there on.

I think it is trying to finish the install of XP and hence the read error. If I put the XP disk in it asks to boot from the cd or it gives the read disk error. If I put the Vista disk in and try to boot from it, it will blue screen me without options.

No boot.ini to remove the XP entry. I've disk checked both drives, defraged since I was there anyway :)  I've been thru MSconfig, I tried BCDEdit. No luck.

What next?

m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2008 3:50:54 PM

Insert your Vista CD, boot to it, and select "Repair Installation".
m
l
February 5, 2008 4:30:16 PM

Great idea. But as I said: the Vista CD gets me blue screened. ?
m
l
February 5, 2008 4:59:48 PM

Go into your bios and set your optical drive to be bootable. Power off with the Vista CD in the drive and power back on. That will boot the system directly off of the CD. It takes a while to boot up that way, but you will be able to select "Repair Installation" and run that directly off of the CD.
m
l
February 5, 2008 5:13:33 PM

First I want to say: I really appreciate the help! EDIT:Without this forum to air my steps, without the input of you guys to spur me on I would not have fixed this so fast. So thanks loads.

I made sure I was booting from cd, powered off, powered on, tried to boot from cd--the inial windows files load, but then I get the blue screen with a 'IRQL' error. Something about it being 'equal to'. This is what it's been giving me so no differences. :( 

I've checked thru the Device Manger too, but found nothing. I would think there is an IRQ conflict somewhere, eh? And what is the 'L' anyway? I am not finding a conflict if there is one, but I'm not well acquainted with IRQ assignment. Know just enough to be dangerous and know nothing of it in Vista.

EDIT: Got most of it right, finally :)  It was the first time I'd seen the IRQL error. Being innately stubborn, I went back to the Device Manager and searched every entry until I found the culprit: the PCI Bus had a bad Memory setting. No option to change it, so I uninstalled it. 'Don't try this at home kids.' Very scary for a bit :) . But I got it booting right, but still not booting from CD, still getting the blue screen but without the IRQL error. Not sure why. EDIT again: Got it right. There was a bad settingin the BIOS, haveno idea why all of a sudden that settings waas bad, but whatever, changed it and now all is well. Thanks for the help!
m
l
!