Sign in with
Your question

Did I make my Vista Partition too Small?

Last response: in Windows Vista
February 3, 2008 8:14:25 AM

I just installed Vista (so far so good!) but I read somewhere to make the partition something like 16 Gig. After installing it, I still had 4 or 5 Gig free... but now a few hours later with updates and whatnot... I only have 800MB free.

Am I in trouble?

I moved the TEMP files onto a second partition I use for the page file to try and save room.
February 3, 2008 5:33:37 PM

16GB sounds VERY small to me, I would have said it needs to be about 40GB...
m
l
February 3, 2008 6:04:57 PM

So... am I screwed? Should I just do a reformat and reinstall?
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2008 8:22:35 PM

If you've only just setup your system and its not too much trouble to reformat I would do it now, it'll only get worse as you fill the hard drive.

I always make a small partition for the OS and a big partition for the rest of the drive, allowing me to do a reformat once a year or so to clean things up. But the partitions stay the same, that way I can move all necessary files to the big partition while I reformat the OS side. Its not straightforward nor reliable to change the size of partitions so you really should pick good sizes to begin with.

I have Vista Ultimate installed and have had it for a good few months, and my C drive now has about 30GB on it, though admittedly I install all my programs on that drive. Installing a new hard drive in a few days and I'll either make that a 40 or 50GB partition, haven't decided yet.

Read some benchmarks the other day about the harddrive I'll be getting (Barracuda 7200.11 500GB) which said that the first 100GB of the drive is the fastest, then the speed trails off a little across the rest of the drive. So your OS partition could be 100GB on the Barracuda, if you wanted it to be.

I completely agree that your OS partition should be as small as possible, but you also don't want to run out of room - it needs room to breathe. 16GB is far too small, seriously.
m
l
February 6, 2008 6:56:51 AM

Home basic: 20GB HDD with 15GB free

Home premium - both require 40GB HDD with 15GB free
Ultimate
m
l
June 15, 2009 3:44:50 PM

Yeah you are screwed... 16 GB is WAYYYY too small for Windows Vista. I would recommend reformating with a new partition. I would recomend atleast 32 GB... 40 GB would be better. Your're also going to want to turn automatic system restore off if oyu haven't already and erase any resotore points that might already be on the C partition. Those take up a LOT of space. Unless you think you need System Restore then you're going to want an even bigger C partition.
m
l
June 16, 2009 2:05:41 PM

goto start|administrative tools|computer management|disk managment|highlight the partition in question and right click it.
See if extend volume is an option. If so you can use that to make it larger without a reload.
You may have to shrink one of the other partitions before making that one larger.
m
l
June 16, 2009 3:02:08 PM

I'm with pat,

Vista has its own partitioning utility, no need for a third party utility.

You can shrink and extend partitions without affecting the operating system.
m
l
October 22, 2009 6:20:42 AM

Although Windows Vista has been approved in its disk management to allow users to extend or shrink partition.

You may find that Windows Vista doesn’t allow you to extend the partition with the following conditions:

1. there isn’t any unallocated space next to the C drive

2. the C drive is FAT but not NTFS

Solution for the above limitations:

How to extend Vista C drive even if there is no unallocated space or the partition is FAT?

How to transfer data and upgrade disk?

m
l
!