WinXP - Multiple local area connection icons appearing in the systray

foolios

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
My internet connection is working fine. I have the checkbox for don't display whether connection is connected or having problems. But something weird is going on. After I come back to the computer after a while, there are multiple local area connection icons in the systray indicating that there is a cable unplugged. But my internet is working and I can't find any other local connections in network places. The other weird thing happening with those little icons in the systray is that when I try to hover over them with the mouse to right click on them to see where they are coming from, they vanish as soon as I hover over them. There will be a row from 2 - 6 of them, they al vanish as I hover across the lot of them.

What is going on?
Edit/Delete Message

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
After writing down the settings from control panel|network settings eg. authentication, obtain ip address auto obtain dns auto etc
Try to uninstall your network adapter from my computer|properties|device manager then reboot.
It should reinstall the card at bootup as your drivers are already on the system. You shouldn't have to do a thing.
Then make sure your network settings are the same.