MX-1 vs Arctic Silver 5?

samjhudson

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
Hey guys,
Have just purchased the parts for my new build and included in them is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Most reviews agree that this is an excellent CPU cooler, expecially for the price.

However, most of the reviews say little about whether they used the pre-installed patch of MX-1 or removed it and used AS5. Now, I purchased some AS5 because I hadn't noticed that the Freezer came with pre-applied paste, so I have both options open to me.

But (and its a big one) I REALLY don't want to be messing about removing and re-applying thermal paste unless its neccessary. I'm going to be overlcocking to about 2.8ghz for now and, seen as I'm living in the UK, where temps dont usually reach higher than 27 mid summer, I'm hoping that the provided paste will do the job - In fact AC promise that its better (thats marketing for you)

what do you guys think?
Thanks in advance
Sam

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I've been using AS5 for years and am very happy with it... dunno anything about MX1. You may not like it, but try it with MX1 and allow your temps to settle down over a few weeks. Run 2x orthos for an hour or 2 and see when the temps reach a steady state. Record them. If you're unhappy with them, remove the HS and repeat with AS5.

I'll bet you'll get better temps in general if you lap both the HS and CPU. Lower temps can be converted into higher vcore/FSB and usually a faster O/C if that's what you're after.

Read about my experiences lapping my heatsink and IHS on my Q6600 if you're interested. Both threads has pics throughout the process as well as temp. comparisons.

samjhudson

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
cheers for the opinions mate!

I'm not even close to having the courage to take sanding paper to my CPU though! I'm not looking for an extreme overclock - will be happy with E6600 performance - i use a 6400 in work and thats quick!

think I'll go with the MX-1 for now, and maybe try the arctic silver later on. I've seen reviews that actually have it beating the AS5 though. It's also got the added bonus of being pre-applied!

thanks again
Sam

uri

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I remeber seeing some reviews that used both the MX-1 and AS5 and the MX-1 got better temps by 1-2 C. either way they are both great and won't limit your OC.

GL

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
isnt Masscool Shin-Etsu x23- thermal interface the best of the best in terms of thermal paste?? 12$shipped from http://www.crazypc.com/products/50118.html

From what I read in some forum thread it is "the best" but that is a pretty subjective term. I also remember reading that it gets VERY sticky and VERY hard over time. If you ever had to remove the HS from the CPU you might get into trouble... AS5 doesn't have the problem.

samjhudson

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
think I'm going to stick with the MX-1 to be honest - it should be up to my relatively conservative overclocking efforts! If not, I can always change it for the AS5

thanks for your opinions guys - once again a great response TG clientele!

Sam

accu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
yes the masscool shin-etsu x23 is very sticky and its hard to put it on too compare to other pastes. i just dropped 1 drop in the center and its not even in a thin layer, which i m worry about.

General rule of thumb, based on my experiences with TIM...

For lapped surfaces, smaller "grained" TIM such as MX-1 and other ceramique pastes work better.

For non-lapped surfaces, larger "grained" TIM such as AS-5 and other silver-based pastes work better.

...but then again....that's my opinion...

samjhudson

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007
very nervous about the idea of taking sand paper to my cpu die :S. this chip only has to last me 15 mnths or so anyway, so If i'm under 70 C I'm happy