Help, System Startup Freeze Followed by CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR

jmetcalf

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Need help. Built new system 6 months ago and have had no problems until today. Running AMD 64 X2 3800 on Abit KN9 SLI with a pretty standard system. Most of my settings are in default mode and I do not attempt overclocking or aggressive settings. During boot everything is fine for the first second or two . When computer reaches the memory test, it freezes and does nothing for 20 minutes. Eventually it will finish like it was just waiting on something and I get a CHECKSUM ERROR. I have not made any changes or upgrades in hardware or software. Have tried clearing CMOS, removing power cord, removing CMOS battery, loading default values after I finally get past MEM test, but nothing seems to work. I don't know where this came from.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
You aren't getting past initial post so it is probably just a general memory failure (and it limits your ability to use any other software testing tools). There are only a few things that will take you down this path, it could be the memory, +5 on your psu, or really worse. I am assuming that you really know these things and are only wanting confirmation...

If you have another system sitting around with similar components, swap the dimms because that is a REALLY easy check (just mark 'em to keep track).

If it were me and if this is the only system I had with similar components and if I were going to shot-gun it... go for a different power supply first, unless you can check it with an existing $50 tester (dvm are more difficult but not impossible) - $65 for a cheap psu and also because you are basically past the infant mortalitiy dates for the dimm. Then if that didn't fix it, it's time to buy another dimm and find out _if_ one is bad.

This is the easiest approach; if it goes beyond that then you have a mobo issue and it is now officially classified as a PITA and probably a new mobo.

good luck

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
As well as what joke said, sometime running the diagnostic/repair software from the hdd mfg can fix this. If you have more than one stick of RAM, try each separately

jmetcalf

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Ok. I've tried changing the power supply, memory, and motherboard. Even the new motherboard hangs right after the memory test only it does not even eventually load.. I tried unplugging the esential hardware to get the most barebone system I can and it still does not work.

jmetcalf

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Believe it or not, it turned out to be my printer. I don't know if it was from a storm or what. This is the only device I have that does not plug into a surge suppressor. I found the printer stuck and non fuctioning. After unplugging and pluggin it in I found that it worked fine, but anytime I plugged the USB cable into my computer (even the new board) it would lock up after MEM test. Weird. Thanks for your help.