Your question

Ubuntu in virtual PC

Tags:
  • Virtual PC
  • Ubuntu
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
March 21, 2010 3:12:56 AM

I have a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine with XP Mode installed. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 in the virtual PC from a CD. It will begin to install then scrambled graphics and it shuts down. I thiought about installing virtual PC in the XP OS and installing Ubuntu into that but I don't think that I should have to do that.

Has anyone had similar issues? Is there a conflict between Win7 and the Ubuntu in virtual PC? I scanned the disk for integrity and it passed.

More about : ubuntu virtual

March 21, 2010 7:06:52 AM

You were trying to install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu, not the 64-bit one?

Edit: You might want to look at this series of articles.
m
l
March 21, 2010 3:02:26 PM

That was my first thought but I don't see a 64 bit version of Ubuntu
m
l
Related resources
March 21, 2010 3:21:53 PM

I think the link in my edit probably answers your problem.
m
l
March 22, 2010 9:30:37 PM

dhay13 said:
I have a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine with XP Mode installed. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 in the virtual PC from a CD. It will begin to install then scrambled graphics and it shuts down. I thiought about installing virtual PC in the XP OS and installing Ubuntu into that but I don't think that I should have to do that.

Has anyone had similar issues? Is there a conflict between Win7 and the Ubuntu in virtual PC? I scanned the disk for integrity and it passed.

Welcome to the sick twisted world of Microsoft. You can not run Linux in Virtual PC which is what Win 7 uses. I'm not sure what BS excuse they were listing last time I lookedd but it will not work. If you install Virtual Box or VMware then it will work first time.
m
l
March 30, 2010 4:00:11 PM

i've ran a few different versions of linux using virtual PC in the past, never on Win7 though. i've used ubuntu, linuxXP, and fedora in virtual PC. i thin windows XP was the newest OS that i installed it on. i don't remember if i ever tried it with vista.
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:40:14 PM

Are you sure you're not thinking about Virtual Server, a different MS Solution?
m
l
March 30, 2010 6:21:43 PM

no but now that i think about it it was a few years ago and it was the older version of virtual PC. also, i think it was only linux XP that was on it. the others were dual-booted. i didn't install them. they were on our machines at college in the labs.
m
l
March 30, 2010 7:20:54 PM

It might have been an older version, and certainly older versions of the Linux installs. Either wayI think we have established that VM Ware or Virtual Box are a far easier way to go if you want to host linux clients.

m
l
March 30, 2010 8:07:15 PM

Besides, if you want to install a 64-bit version then VirtualPC is a non-starter.
m
l
March 30, 2010 8:57:26 PM

Shortly after Microsoft bought Virtual PC, Linux support went poof almost overnight.

It'll be much harder to get Virtual PC to run any version of Linux.

Like audiovoodoo and ijack have said VM Ware or Virtual Box or others are going to be a heck of a lot easier, faster, more reliable and will have 64bit support.

Semper Fi :) 
m
l
April 9, 2010 9:29:18 PM

well i went ahead and installed it in virtual box. i have virtual PC with XP in it (XP mode) and virtual box with ubuntu.
m
l
!