Ubuntu in virtual PC

dhay13

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I have a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine with XP Mode installed. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 in the virtual PC from a CD. It will begin to install then scrambled graphics and it shuts down. I thiought about installing virtual PC in the XP OS and installing Ubuntu into that but I don't think that I should have to do that.

Has anyone had similar issues? Is there a conflict between Win7 and the Ubuntu in virtual PC? I scanned the disk for integrity and it passed.

Welcome to the sick twisted world of Microsoft. You can not run Linux in Virtual PC which is what Win 7 uses. I'm not sure what BS excuse they were listing last time I lookedd but it will not work. If you install Virtual Box or VMware then it will work first time.

dhay13

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
i've ran a few different versions of linux using virtual PC in the past, never on Win7 though. i've used ubuntu, linuxXP, and fedora in virtual PC. i thin windows XP was the newest OS that i installed it on. i don't remember if i ever tried it with vista.

dhay13

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
no but now that i think about it it was a few years ago and it was the older version of virtual PC. also, i think it was only linux XP that was on it. the others were dual-booted. i didn't install them. they were on our machines at college in the labs.

linux_0

Splendid
Shortly after Microsoft bought Virtual PC, Linux support went poof almost overnight.

It'll be much harder to get Virtual PC to run any version of Linux.

Like audiovoodoo and ijack have said VM Ware or Virtual Box or others are going to be a heck of a lot easier, faster, more reliable and will have 64bit support.

Semper Fi :)