tophan47

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Hello all...this is the first time i am posting here...i just recently built a computer (after 5 yrs!) and well everything is reading fine and working with temps staying low (have not oc ed yet nor have i changed any memory timing...everything is on default for now)...here is what i have:

E6600
asus P5n-e
zalman 9700
antec true power trio 550W
2 x 320gb maxtor (rebadged seagate 7200.10)
2 x 1gb crucial ballistix 800

i do not know what is wrong but i keep getting the BSOD during Vista-64 install every time...all i was able to do so far is get the HDS raided...

the last two BSODs I saw were pfn_list_corrupt and memory_management... i originally posted in the vista forum thinking it was a vista issue except then Joke told me to run memtest and after doing that i had 5000+ errors (still running) and Joke recommended I move over to the hardware forum to see if anyone can help me here.

the memory seems to read fine and i checked other places and ppl have claimed that this memory works with the p5n-e...

does anyone think its faulty memory or do i need to set the timings/voltage at some specific value rather than allowing it to automatically decide?

thanks!

Mondoman

Splendid
... Joke told me to run memtest and after doing that i had 5000+ errors (still running) ...
the memory seems to read fine ...
I don't understand what "reading fine" means if you have thousands of errors on memtest86+. :wink:

... do i need to set the timings/voltage at some specific value rather than allowing it to automatically decide?
You shouldn't have to, but unfortunately way too much "enthusiast" memory these days seems to be defective, in that it doesn't work properly at the standard 1.8V.
Your DIMMs (you didn't list the specific model number) are likely sold as requiring a certain elevated voltage to run at the advertised speed/timings. Go ahead and set that "DIMM voltage" or "memory voltage" or "Vdimm" in the BIOS to the specified voltage for your model. Save the changes to the BIOS and reboot, then run memtest86+ again.
If your memory now gives 0 errors, then it is technically defective in that it won't work at the standard 1.8V. However, it will take a week or two to go through the RMA process, so you might want to let sleeping dogs lie.
If your memory still gives errors, go ahead and get it replaced under warranty through the RMA process.

tophan47

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
when i meant it reads fine i was saying that as its booting it reads the 2gb...

and i did as u said and adjusted the voltage to ~2.2V then to ~2.4V (specs say it should be 2.2V) and at 2.4 memtest did nothing and just froze...whereas at 2.2V every segment it read was an error (in 5min was at 45000+errors)

I have the BL2KIT12864AA804
UNBUFF DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-6400 CL4.

does this mean the memory is bad and i should contact crucial?

thanks for the response Mondoman!