Tonny0909

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hi

I was starting out with a new machine and the ASUS Maximus Formula motherboard, and an ASUS 8800GT, 2GB RAM and Core 2 Quad Q6600. This worked fine, until I desided to overclock, by buying a second card to go SLI, which , obviously would not work with the Intel X38 chipset, on the motherboard.

I have now switched the motherboard for an ASUS P5N-T deluxe, and added the IFX14 cooler with 2x120mm fans including the extra Hr-10 +80mm fan, for the backside of the motherboard.

However, I am not able to install Vista or XP as I dib on the old machine! It boots correctly but will not start Vista. Tried to reinstall (several times), but it freezes the screen at some point during the installation, never the same place though. Have had up to 44% unpacked files, but also the short version where it stopped before the "rolling green stripe" had finished.

I have not put in both video card during this start up, and also I tried to install a new, untouched, hard disk, but no luck.

I really need an input of which way to go.

On the older machine - At this point I would (1) Remove all unnecessary devices (i.e. sound card), then (2) create a bootable disc (floppy, CD, whatever) on another computer and use that to reformat the hard drive from a C prompt. Then start my installations from there.

Tonny0909

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
But when installing, doesn't the OS format the drive? At least that is what it says, during installation of XP. Yes, well, I am trying both, and it frezees up during some point, for both applications.