Modem Failure... Really?

calpis

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
I recently switched to Comcast cable internet with a Linksys cable modem and a Linksys broadband router w/speed booster (pretty old one compared to the cable modem). It worked fine for the first few days, but one day, it suddenly disconnected. There are three signals on the modem: 'DS', 'US', and 'Online', and the 'Online' one keeps blinking and wouldn't log on the internet. I've tried connecting directly to the modem, or reseting it but they didn't do anything. So I called the technician to come and they told me that the signal from the cable outlet was fine, but there was something wired with the modem that it got all the information it needed yet it wouldn't get an IP from comcast, so no internet connection.

They suggested me to get a new cable modem, so I returned my old one and got one in bestbuy. After some activation work, my internet started working, but two days later, the exact same problem occured. 'Online' signal on the modem kept blinking and no connecting despite numerous resettings was made. What would be the problem, and what should I do about it now?

Thanks for reading this.

knight_runner

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
You should be able to view the modem status and diagnostics by typing in it's default IP address. It will show you the signal level, the negotiation process and using that info you can call the techs back at your ISP and talk to them.

computeramatur

Honorable
Mar 31, 2013

Happened to me last night, I went to sleep to wake up (almost) fixed, except the telephone line wasn't working yet. I still don't know what to do.