Reinstalled XP, now sound doesn't work

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I just did a fresh install of XP on my new PC and now, for some reason there is no sound coming out of the speakers. It worked before I did the reinstall. The digital sound is built into the Gigabyte mobo and I made sure I reloaded the drivers. Everything looks okay in the Device Manager. I've looked at everything I can think of, but I can't get the sound to work. When I plug in my USB headphones, they work fine. I keep thinking it's something simple I'm missing. Suggestions please.

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
Nope. Did all that. That's why I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. All it was, was I had to go into the HD Audio configuration utility and match the speakers up correctly with the output of the back panel. I'm surprised there isn't some kind of auto-detect, but there isn't. Part of the problem was I had worked all day, came home and re-installed XP with all the drivers, updates, yada, yada, yada. You get mentally exhausted after a while! Running good now though.

billyntara

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Thank you for posting this in the first place.

After reading this almost 2 years after you posted it - I have sound in both speakers again.

I just purchased a new pc that came with vista - reloaded it with XP and had to install new drivers for everything off the internet but I couldn't get the speaker driver correct. I just went into control panel to sounds and changed the audio device from realtek to usb speakers and wah lah! i have sound. I have gone from no sound to sound to sound in only the main speaker to no sound again so.................................thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and God bless you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kstrife

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Don't feel bad warpspasm. I've been doing this ever since Windows 98 came out and once in a while something like this happens to me and it is always something Simple.

Welcome to the club. :p