Sign in with
Your question

Reinstalled XP, now sound doesn't work

Tags:
  • Device Manager
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 17, 2008 10:21:14 PM

I just did a fresh install of XP on my new PC and now, for some reason there is no sound coming out of the speakers. It worked before I did the reinstall. The digital sound is built into the Gigabyte mobo and I made sure I reloaded the drivers. Everything looks okay in the Device Manager. I've looked at everything I can think of, but I can't get the sound to work. When I plug in my USB headphones, they work fine. I keep thinking it's something simple I'm missing. Suggestions please.

More about : reinstalled sound work

January 18, 2008 11:58:54 AM

Never mind. Figured it out. Man...I'm so stupid sometimes it drives me nuts! Just what I need stupid AND nuts. :) 

January 18, 2008 1:12:43 PM

It was drivers wasn't it? :) 
Related resources
January 18, 2008 1:18:59 PM

Nope. Did all that. That's why I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. All it was, was I had to go into the HD Audio configuration utility and match the speakers up correctly with the output of the back panel. I'm surprised there isn't some kind of auto-detect, but there isn't. Part of the problem was I had worked all day, came home and re-installed XP with all the drivers, updates, yada, yada, yada. You get mentally exhausted after a while! Running good now though.
January 18, 2008 2:11:36 PM

Quote:
Part of the problem was I had worked all day, came home and re-installed XP with all the drivers, updates, yada, yada, yada. You get mentally exhausted after a while!
I understand that all to well. :p 
September 3, 2009 12:57:31 AM

Thank you for posting this in the first place.

After reading this almost 2 years after you posted it - I have sound in both speakers again.

I just purchased a new pc that came with vista - reloaded it with XP and had to install new drivers for everything off the internet but I couldn't get the speaker driver correct. I just went into control panel to sounds and changed the audio device from realtek to usb speakers and wah lah! i have sound. I have gone from no sound to sound to sound in only the main speaker to no sound again so.................................thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and God bless you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 3, 2009 1:59:32 AM

Don't feel bad warpspasm. I've been doing this ever since Windows 98 came out and once in a while something like this happens to me and it is always something Simple.

Welcome to the club. :p 
!