I did not use standoffs on my mobo - question about this

EonBlueApocolypse

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Hi and thanks for reading! I just finished putting my new system together and to my delightful surprise it powered on and worked just fine! The reason I find this surprising (besides the fact that its my first build) is that I did not use standoffs under my mobo :eek: . From what I now understand, this was a very dangerous thing to do and could have fried all my parts. Here's the problem: I didn't put the standoffs because when I first tried to use them they put my mobo too high and the rear ports would not line up with the case. Without them though, the rear panel fits perfectly. Now, the thing about my case is that it has little raised areas where the mobo screws go in and I sort of think that might be enough to prevent any unwanted shorts - making standoffs unnecessary. I use an asus p5n-e sli mobo and an Ultra Wizard case. Is it possible that the raised parts on the case are sufficient and I actually don't need standoffs or am I just a total nub?? Thanks again if you read all this :D .

weilin

Distinguished
i think those raised areas you see are standoffs... You see, the most common ones the manufacturer may actually weld them on for you. The extra stand offs you get are for those weird placement ones that vary from board to board. If i get what you did, i think you're fine.

jt001

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
i think those raised areas you see are standoffs... You see, the most common ones the manufacturer may actually weld them on for you. The extra stand offs you get are for those weird placement ones that vary from board to board. If i get what you did, i think you're fine.

Yup that's quite common

And trust me, if you needed to use the standoffs but didn't, you'd know it

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Personal Experience: PC WILL FREEZE, LOCKUP, and PERHAPS FRY!!!!

About 5 years ago when I built my first PC (about age 11-12), I followed the ASUS manual step by step - to my demise a year later when I upgraded systems, I fried my PC. The new manual that came from a new MB that I board to replace the burnt one actually mentioned standoffs and showed some pics.....

Anyhow, it is VERY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HIGHLY recommend putting standoffs back in!!!!!!!!!!!

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005

Not entirely true...my first build could play games with the occasional freeze and such and worked..... despite the constant grounding with the case... 8O

bigblack

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
The raised areas are standoffs. You only should worry if there are raised areas where your mboard does not have holes for screws.

wise

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
i just assembled my first computer, e6420 etc etc, and installed it without standoffs. See post "it smokes". The casei used was a really cheap rosewill one but it also had little raised areas i assumed were for that. It came with standoffs, but i didnt know what they were and no documention.

EonBlueApocolypse

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Are you asking what kind of case I have?.. Its an Ultra Wizard.

As for everyone else's responses, I'm still sort of inclined to think that the standoffs are built in and I do not need to add them, because the fact still remains that extra brass standoffs just won't fit. I really have no choice here. Thanks so far u guys.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Well, if you want to risk your investment, do not use them, as PCkid777, you are asking to create a short in the MOBO, best case, lock up, worst case, a dead fried mobo. If I were you I wont risk the mobo. In any case, how much time yo can spend setting up the stand ups? Do you have any improvements not using them? So why risk your hardware?

:twisted:

Hasta la vista baby

EonBlueApocolypse

Distinguished
May 13, 2007
Well, if you want to risk your investment, do not use them, as PCkid777, you are asking to create a short in the MOBO, best case, lock up, worst case, a dead fried mobo. If I were you I wont risk the mobo. In any case, how much time yo can spend setting up the stand ups? Do you have any improvements not using them? So why risk your hardware?

:twisted:

Hasta la vista baby

I appreciate the response, but did you even read my problem? Your making it seem like I am intentionally not using them - the problem is actually that they won't fit. The raised areas + the standoffs == way too high and rear panel won't align right at all. That is the reason I think I don't have to use them.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Just check that you have a screw in ALL the mounting holes on your motherboard. If there are any that don't, you will need to either add a standoff at that point if there is a threaded hole, or use a plastic support instead, If your board is not fully supported it will flex too much when adding memory or adapter cards.

Mike.

4745454b

Titan
1) Then you've never used a case that has standoffs built in. They do exist, this is one of them. Notice the raised bumps that act as standoffs.

2) LOL, I'm glad this "inexperienced noob" could educate you. For the record, I NEVER post about something unless I know my sh!t. If you did the same thing, you might not look like a noob yourself.

3) To the OP, again, don't worry. As long as the inside of that case has those bumps, your good.

Vash-HT

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006

Not entirely true...my first build could play games with the occasional freeze and such and worked..... despite the constant grounding with the case... 8O

I agree with him, problems like this could turn out to be very intermittent, especially if you move your case around at all. Are the mounting holes raised slightly or a lot? If you have any doubts about it I would just put in stand offs to be safe.

EDIT: I just read it won't fit with standoffs, but I'm pretty sure you can get different length standoffs, we have quite a few different lengths here at my work.

cahutch

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
The standoffs are there to prevent the circuits from touching the metal of the case.
If there is space between your mboard and the case you are fine.

Dave_McMahon

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
All it takes is a bump to the side of the pc or when your installing cards/memory and you push then BZZZZZZZZZTTTT, your done. The mobo still carries power even when unplugged.

Dont forget to unplug PC when changing anything about it. Make sure that the metal earth holes have a standoff (or raised section/weld etc) make sure that the raised section is not too big for the earth/ground "circle" underneath the M/B

use tradinaitional metal standoffs for unusal holes. Use plastic ones on the unearthed holes to support M/B when installing stuff and to make it more rigid (for when moving pc etc.)

my 2$ (inflation)

buzz_X

Distinguished
May 14, 2006
I know just what you're talking about!

I've encountered a few cases that came with little raised dimples
that took the place of the stand-offs. Like some say, just make
sure you look at your layout and see if all the little raised
dimples are where you need them. No big deal!