gutso

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
my pc died and was fixed by a friend, there are two partitions on the hard drive, what were the C & D drives, the C drive is 29.9gig and has remained unaffected. however, what was the D partition (which is now the H) is in RAW format and windows will not let me format it. i'm not worried about losing anything that may still be on it, but it's 427gig and me little C drive's getting full up fast!

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can always download a copy of the GPARTED live cd (http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org) and format the RAW partition in what ever format your beloved XP likes (NTFS, fat32 etc..)
Good luck
Steve

gutso

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
when i was trying to save the pc i reformatted the drive as fat32 because i didn't really know what i was doing, when he got it working again, the drive was RAW.

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As I said you can reformat that RAW partition with GPARTED you may even be able to extend your working partition to the full drive capacity if you want. In case I was not clear, by using this program you will not (unless you want to) format over the working partition.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
hey acron I have a question
I Dont know of GPARTED but would like to know if it puts the partition in to a propiatary format. I know some of the other partitioning progs. cant be recognized by windows in future upgrade attempts.
I am going to upgrade and can see where this could be helpful

TKS

gone fishin'

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I know if you use a win98 or winmill to format the HD, XP says it's not compatable with that format and if you are going to install XP of a clean disk without a bootable CD, MSFT has a set of Boot disks you create to format and copy the install files to for the instalation

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
In windows xp, Go the control panel - administrative tools - computer management - storage - disk management

Here you will see all drives on the system, it doesn't matter if they are formatted or not, if the bios sees it, even if you don't see it in my computer, they will be here and you can configure/format erase or whatever. You can do whatever needs to be done in this snap in.

TRENDING THREADS