Venting.....About my first bill from Cingular $266 for 2 w..

Last response: in Network Providers
January 5, 2005 2:51:49 PM

Well, I got my new phones that I ordered on-line from Cingular on the 27th
of Dec.
Everything seemed ok until my phone would not accept the sim card.
(Unauthorized sim) That one had one of my old numbers from Sprint that was
being ported over to my new phone. It took 4 days to finally fix the problem
and after several hours of talking to tech support. I look online today at
my account and there is my first bill for $266.00
After a very unsatisfying conversation with a rude rep, I find that they
have charged me for numerous things that were
not explained to me in any way, shape or form. I purchased the family
plan1250 with 4 free phones, so I was thinking my first bill was going to be
about $150'ish. Boy was I wrong.
Is this going to be typical from Cingular? I was a long-time Sprint
customer, and in a way, I am regretting leaving.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:51:50 PM

"Jim P" <Enamanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, I got my new phones that I ordered on-line from Cingular on the 27th
> of Dec.
> Everything seemed ok until my phone would not accept the sim card.
> (Unauthorized sim) That one had one of my old numbers from Sprint that was
> being ported over to my new phone.

When did Sprint start using SIM cards or SIM-based phones?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:51:50 PM

<bryan_adrian@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Tens of CONSUMER REPORTS ON CINGULAR BILLING DISPUTES

Shouldn't that read, "Ten Consumer reports?" Out of 42 million subscribers,
I'd say that's a pretty good batting average.
January 5, 2005 2:51:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular, alt.cellular.verizon, alt.cellular.nextel, alt.cellular.motorola, alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Sorry, Mistyped. It should say:

'TONS OF CONSUMERS INTENTIONALLY BILKED by CINGULAR-AT&T' ........

....and the Cingular and AT&T drubbing of consumers continues without
old fashioned customer services that honor their service agreements.

Cingular does have very good electronic and technical and transmission
assets and performance. It is the business side and marketing side and
billing side that is on the same team as Slobodan Milosevic.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:15:34 PM

In article <WKqdnc5WHv-LhkHcRVn-qw@giganews.com>,
"Jim P" <Enamanga@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, I got my new phones that I ordered on-line from Cingular on the 27th
> of Dec.
> Everything seemed ok until my phone would not accept the sim card.
> (Unauthorized sim) That one had one of my old numbers from Sprint that was
> being ported over to my new phone. It took 4 days to finally fix the problem
> and after several hours of talking to tech support. I look online today at
> my account and there is my first bill for $266.00
> After a very unsatisfying conversation with a rude rep, I find that they
> have charged me for numerous things that were
> not explained to me in any way, shape or form. I purchased the family
> plan1250 with 4 free phones, so I was thinking my first bill was going to be
> about $150'ish. Boy was I wrong.
> Is this going to be typical from Cingular? I was a long-time Sprint
> customer, and in a way, I am regretting leaving.

Sorry; in this case, I need to defend Cingular.

Cingular like Sprint charges for the month in advance. Your first bill
is likely for 5 weeks, not 2 weeks. Your first bill will include
Activation charges and charges for a partial month before your regular
billing period kicks in. Those charges will never appear again; same as
Sprint. Unlike Sprint, you likely have a better phone than a
biodegradable Sanyo or Samsung that gets V E R Y hot in use.
Unlike Sprint you will have Rollover minutes. In most parts of the
country using 850 Mhz instead of 1900 MHz for the Network, indoor
penetration will be far superior with Cingular than with Sprint.
Should you travel outside the United States, cellular useage is greatly
facilitated by owning a GSM phone, not regularly used by Sprint.

It's hard for us to tell what your regular bill might be, as you didnt
tell us whether you have 4 or 5 lines (I will assume 4), and what
additional services you may have signed up for. Likely if you calm down
and subtract out the one time charges, you can pretty well predict what
your bill should be next month.

As I read The Cingular web site for the FamilyPlan1250, its
$109.96/month plus taxes and fees, likely ~$35 for 4 phones. So your
regular monthly rate should be under $150. The first bill would have one
time activation fees of $72 and about $35 for a partial month + tax,
accounting for the ~$110 extra you see. It looks perfectly normal to me.
Car chargers, headphones, insurance plans, data plans would add to your
costs.

I'm assuming you didn't read or remember reading the text at the bottom
of the order screen that plainly says:

" Your first month's statement will include a one-time activation fee,
prorated monthly charge, as well as one month's charge in advance."
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:15:35 PM

> In article <WKqdnc5WHv-LhkHcRVn-qw@giganews.com>,
> "Jim P" <Enamanga@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, I got my new phones that I ordered on-line from Cingular on the
27th
> > of Dec.
> > Everything seemed ok until my phone would not accept the sim card.
> > (Unauthorized sim) That one had one of my old numbers from Sprint that
was
> > being ported over to my new phone. It took 4 days to finally fix the
problem
> > and after several hours of talking to tech support. I look online today
at
> > my account and there is my first bill for $266.00
> > After a very unsatisfying conversation with a rude rep, I find that they
> > have charged me for numerous things that were
> > not explained to me in any way, shape or form. I purchased the family
> > plan1250 with 4 free phones, so I was thinking my first bill was going
to be
> > about $150'ish. Boy was I wrong.
> > Is this going to be typical from Cingular? I was a long-time Sprint
> > customer, and in a way, I am regretting leaving.
>
> Sorry; in this case, I need to defend Cingular.
>
> Cingular like Sprint charges for the month in advance. Your first bill
> is likely for 5 weeks, not 2 weeks. Your first bill will include
> Activation charges and charges for a partial month before your regular
> billing period kicks in. Those charges will never appear again; same as
> Sprint. Unlike Sprint, you likely have a better phone than a
> biodegradable Sanyo or Samsung that gets V E R Y hot in use.
> Unlike Sprint you will have Rollover minutes. In most parts of the
> country using 850 Mhz instead of 1900 MHz for the Network, indoor
> penetration will be far superior with Cingular than with Sprint.
> Should you travel outside the United States, cellular useage is greatly
> facilitated by owning a GSM phone, not regularly used by Sprint.

Not true at all.
When my number from Sprint was porting over to Cingular, I still had both
phones working with
the same number. I went to Canada for my sons hockey tournament and the
Cingular phone would not work
and my sprint phone (sanyo) worked fine. Inside the ice rink I had no
signal at all with the motorola phone. Sprint does not have coverage in
Canada, but because I was so close to the water (border), I was still
getting signal.
With cingular, I keep getting dropped calls even when my wife is only a 1/2
mile away at her moms, and static....
lets not talk about the static. (yes on all 4 phones)

Also, everytime I put my Cingular phone near my computer at work or home, my
computer starts making weird noises.

I am not here to bash Cingular, I am just trying to get over the "sticker
shock" of my first bill.
It is bad enough I had to pay the early termination over at Sprint ($165)
and now to have to another bill
of $266.

> It's hard for us to tell what your regular bill might be, as you didnt
> tell us whether you have 4 or 5 lines (I will assume 4), and what
> additional services you may have signed up for. Likely if you calm down
> and subtract out the one time charges, you can pretty well predict what
> your bill should be next month.
>
> As I read The Cingular web site for the FamilyPlan1250, its
> $109.96/month plus taxes and fees, likely ~$35 for 4 phones. So your
> regular monthly rate should be under $150. The first bill would have one
> time activation fees of $72 and about $35 for a partial month + tax,
> accounting for the ~$110 extra you see. It looks perfectly normal to me.
> Car chargers, headphones, insurance plans, data plans would add to your
> costs.
>
> I'm assuming you didn't read or remember reading the text at the bottom
> of the order screen that plainly says:

Must of been some of that small text that nobody ever reads.

> " Your first month's statement will include a one-time activation fee,
> prorated monthly charge, as well as one month's charge in advance."
January 5, 2005 10:30:58 PM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:54:50 -0700, "Scott Stephenson"
<scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:

>"Jim P" <Enamanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I got my new phones that I ordered on-line from Cingular on the 27th
>> of Dec.
>> Everything seemed ok until my phone would not accept the sim card.
>> (Unauthorized sim) That one had one of my old numbers from Sprint that was
>> being ported over to my new phone.
>
>When did Sprint start using SIM cards or SIM-based phones?

Did you not see the word *ported!* That means that the number was
ported over from Sprint PCS. It has nothing to do with SIM cards.

January 5, 2005 11:30:41 PM

In <TIadne1C4OGG2UHcRVn-iQ@giganews.com> on Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:46:49 -0500,
"Jim P" <Enamanga@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Jack Zwick" <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> I'm assuming you didn't read or remember reading the text at the bottom
>> of the order screen that plainly says:
>
> Must of been some of that small text that nobody ever reads.

I read it. Many others do too. If you choose not to read it, then you really
have no complaint. No offense intended.

January 6, 2005 4:08:53 PM

In article <06cpt0d9gl5ov4f5pis8r5flit7bksjtqc@4ax.com>,
Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:54:50 -0700, "Scott Stephenson"
> <scott.stephensonson@adelphia.net> wrote:
>

> >"Jim P" <Enamanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Well, I got my new phones that I ordered on-line from Cingular on the 27th
> >> of Dec.
> >> Everything seemed ok until my phone would not accept the sim card.
> >> (Unauthorized sim) That one had one of my old numbers from Sprint that was
> >> being ported over to my new phone.
> >
> >When did Sprint start using SIM cards or SIM-based phones?
>
> Did you not see the word *ported!* That means that the number was
> ported over from Sprint PCS. It has nothing to do with SIM cards.

Sprint was/is second only to AT&T Wireless in WLNP porting grief caused.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:52:18 PM

In <jzwick3-DC61EA.07084606012005@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 06 Jan
2005 13:08:53 GMT, Jack "Chicken Little" Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Sprint was/is second only to AT&T Wireless in WLNP porting grief caused.

Proof?

--
Best regards,
John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/&gt;

"A little learning is a dangerous thing." [Alexander Pope]
"It is better to sit in silence and appear ignorant,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." [Mark Twain]
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:48:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.motorola,alt.cellular.ericsson,alt.cellular.verizon,alt.cellular.nextel (More info?)

bryan_adrian@yahoo.com wrote:
> Tens of CONSUMER REPORTS ON CINGULAR BILLING DISPUTES
>
> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/cingular_bil...
>
> Carolyn of Mullins SC (1/28/03):
> We purchased a nationwide plan knowing we were going on an extended
> vacation to California and needed to keep in touch with family here. We
> were told we had nights and weekends free up to 3500 minutes. We
> received no written proof of this transaction, and called twice to be
> sure we had the free minutes and were told we did. We didn't have it in
> writing, so when our bill came when we returned, we were furuous when
> told we were charged for **roaming** charges to the amount of $2000. I
> think the employees of this company...

I think consumers should learn what a calling area is. I think they
should also learn what roaming is/is not applicable (for example in
Cingular Preferred Nation, roaming rates do apply in certain areas, as
do roaming rates in certain areas of Verizon Wireless' America's Choice).

> Tamie of Wilsonville AL (10/3/02):
> I have been overcharged every month since February, and paid the bills,
> averaging $220+ for one phone. I even upped my minutes to 1000/mo for
> $69.99 and just got my bill -- $188.65 for under 600 minutes! I cannot
> afford these bills. Every month I think it will be straightened out.
> Everyone I talk to has similar problems.

Does it specify all charges are for voice? Maybe someone is using the
phone for data.

> Paige of Noblesville IN writes (7/23/01):
> I was not told about roaming charges at all when I signed up for free
> long distance..the company finally agreed to eliminate the roaming
> charges but now want to charge me for any overage ... taking away one
> charge but adding another!

One should know what long distance is before signing up for any type of
phone service in his own name. Ignorance is no excuse.

> I am extremely upset with their desceptive practices, I cannot trust
> them...the rep would not send me their new terms in writing until I
> agreed to them first! I was duped and tricked!

Duped and tricked by your own ignorance.

> Angela of Jacksonville FL (1/14/03):
> I signed up for a 250 anytime minute plan plus 3,500 nights/weekends
> with no roaming or long distance. I have been using Cingular since
> 1996, not always on this plan. The last time I changed my plan, it was
> to cost me $29.99 per month for a gross bill of $38.00. My monthly
> bills have ranged anywhere from $45 to $198 with Cingular, which is a
> far cry from the $38.00 per month that I always anticipate.
>

> Since June 2001, I have only paid the minimum $38.00 7 times. I became
> concerned at the amount of the monthly bills. Therefore, I began
> attempting to track my usage. However, as usual, the total minutes
> billed did not match my estimates. I was reading on the Internet some
> fine print about being charged airtime for checking your voicemail. In
> addition, when I requested the National plan, I did not sign a
> contract, therefore I was not aware of the $.40 per minute peak
> overlimit charge. I thought I was supposed to be paying around $.19 per
> minute or less.

Wow...that's cheap. Why didn't you verify this?

> I have asked for detailed billing, but it still does
> not clarify all of the charges. I am concerned that Cingular is
> engaging in illegal billing activity. As a consumer, I would hope that
> someone is reviewing the billing practices of cell phone companies.

Maybe sit down with a friend and add up the charges. If there is a
billing error, Cingular will be more than happy to fix it. They provide
the service, however a software firm does the billing software, and bugs
happen.

Okay, enough is enough, I'm not going any further with this message.

Point is -- consumers need to be aware of what's going on. Most
consumers are becoming more and more ignorant. Always look at all
angles and base your decisions on the information you have. When you
could get more information but choose not to, you are letting yourself
be ignorant.

Now, I'm not saying Cingular is perfect here. In fact, my replies have
nothing to do with Cingular. It's just that those customers had no idea
what they were getting, and apparently chose not look deeper into the
situation. I'm sure Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Nextel, and Sprint all
have their share of ignorant consumers.

TH

TH
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:48:56 AM

Tropical Haven wrote:
> bryan_adrian@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Tens of CONSUMER REPORTS ON CINGULAR BILLING DISPUTES
>>
>> http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/cingular_bil...
>>
>> Carolyn of Mullins SC (1/28/03):
>> We purchased a nationwide plan knowing we were going on an extended
>> vacation to California and needed to keep in touch with family here.
>> We were told we had nights and weekends free up to 3500 minutes. We
>> received no written proof of this transaction, and called twice to be
>> sure we had the free minutes and were told we did. We didn't have it
>> in writing, so when our bill came when we returned, we were furuous
>> when told we were charged for **roaming** charges to the amount of
>> $2000. I think the employees of this company...

~50 hours of keeping in touch with the family? Why did they go on
vacation? and what did they have time to see?

-Quick
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 4:48:56 AM

"Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message
> Now, I'm not saying Cingular is perfect here. In fact, my replies have
> nothing to do with Cingular. It's just that those customers had no idea
> what they were getting, and apparently chose not look deeper into the
> situation. I'm sure Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Nextel, and Sprint all
> have their share of ignorant consumers.

This is all true, but it's a sad commentary on society today that many of
the representatives of the companies you list will knowingly let ignorant
people get themselves in trouble, and even mislead them in order to make a
sale when they know that what they're selling isn't what the customer
desires.
!