Drag and drop won't work

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

For some inexplicable reason drag and drop has stopped working. It wont
function on any word processor, or even on my desktop, i.e. dragging an icon
to the wastebin. Right clicking and cutting and pasting works fine but I
prefer the other route.

I am running XP Home with SPII.

Has anyone any ideas please.

TIA

Geoff

--
Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
3 answers Last reply

    Geoff,

    See if a reboot fixes the problem. If that does not help, and this problem
    is seen recently, you may try a System Restore rollback. If nothing helps,
    try these commands courtesy of David Candy.

    Click Start, Run and execute these commands:

    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

    Restart Windows.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > For some inexplicable reason drag and drop has stopped working. It wont
    > function on any word processor, or even on my desktop, i.e. dragging an
    > icon to the wastebin. Right clicking and cutting and pasting works fine
    > but I prefer the other route.
    >
    > I am running XP Home with SPII.
    >
    > Has anyone any ideas please.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Geoff
    >
    > --
    > Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks Ramesh

    Reboot failed but commands worked fine.

    Geoff
    --
    > Geoff,
    >
    > See if a reboot fixes the problem. If that does not help, and this problem
    > is seen recently, you may try a System Restore rollback. If nothing helps,
    > try these commands courtesy of David Candy.
    >
    > Click Start, Run and execute these commands:
    >
    > regsvr32 ole32.dll
    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >
    > Restart Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> For some inexplicable reason drag and drop has stopped working. It wont
    >> function on any word processor, or even on my desktop, i.e. dragging an
    >> icon to the wastebin. Right clicking and cutting and pasting works fine
    >> but I prefer the other route.
    >>
    >> I am running XP Home with SPII.
    >>
    >> Has anyone any ideas please.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Geoff
    >>
    >> --
    >> Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Excellent! Thanks for posting back.

    --

    > Thanks Ramesh
    >
    > Reboot failed but commands worked fine.
    >
    > Geoff
    > --
    > Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
    >> Geoff,
    >>
    >> See if a reboot fixes the problem. If that does not help, and this
    >> problem is seen recently, you may try a System Restore rollback. If
    >> nothing helps, try these commands courtesy of David Candy.
    >>
    >> Click Start, Run and execute these commands:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 ole32.dll
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    >>
    >> Restart Windows.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> For some inexplicable reason drag and drop has stopped working. It wont
    >>> function on any word processor, or even on my desktop, i.e. dragging an
    >>> icon to the wastebin. Right clicking and cutting and pasting works fine
    >>> but I prefer the other route.
    >>>
    >>> I am running XP Home with SPII.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone any ideas please.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Geoff
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line

Windows XP Support Desktops Processors Microsoft