Can I do this ? Dual boot between EIDE drive and SATA drive

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
I currently have my system drive attacked via EIDE. My system drive is 4 year old 250GB. I want to replace it with a Raptor 150GB sata drive.
I also have attached on the SATA channels a RAID 0 array of 2 disks which hold important and critical information.
My question is this. Will attempting to swap the system drive from EIDE to SATA cause any chance of screwing up RAID 0 array? I have never done this before so Im a little nervous. Is therte anyway I can create a dual boot between the current EIDE system drive and the new SATA RAPTOR drive?

My system specs:
DUAL AMD OPTERON 270
on Tyan Thunder K8WE. S2895. motherboard.
4gb of RAM.
Nvidia Quadro FX 560.
2 500gb Western digital SE16 drives in RAID 0 on motherboard SATA contorler.

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
If your RAID array is already configured, plugging in another SATA drive should not affect it.. it should simply just see it as another HD..

you may want to contact your mobo manufacturer and ask them first tho..

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I also have attached on the SATA channels a RAID 0 array of 2 disks which hold important and critical information.

Why oh why? If it's critical data on a home PC, I'm sure it's not needing the highest of performance, so why choose RAID 0? I suppose if you have good backups (and tested regularly) you're safe then, but that's a heartache waiting to happen.

fishquail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Its not a home pc. This is a video editing workstation for my business. THe Raid 0 Array contains client projects. And I need all the performance i can muster. My current Raid 0 array of 2 disks is still too slow. _I need a RAID 0 of 4 disks ideally for what im doing.