should I get vista x64?

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I just finished building my system (without an OS for now)... I need to know what to go for. I'm thinking the most logical course of action would be to go with the Vista home premium x86.

On the flip side, everything nowadays seems to be future oriented into the x64 side of things. Should I go with vista 64 instead? I have searched everywhere and can't find any answers in terms of compatibility issues, etc. Everything I found suggested there are still too many compatibility issues with hardware drivers and the like, but all of this was dated from a year ago. Have there been recent advancements in increasing compatibility that should make me consider the "upgrade"???

Also, are there any software compatibility issues? I use Steam for gaming (mostly), along with retail games, Office, and other general software on Windows XP... Will they work fine on vista x64? How about this stuff about lack of support for older software (such as installers), should I even need to take this into consideration these days? I mean I do use online software that I download (less then legal software if you know what I mean...) With executable files that allow me to "run", or "generate" information needed for the given software... Will they still work?????

*** The main reason I want to buy x64 is because it seems to be the new trend for future proofing. I don't want to invest in vista x86, if the x64 version is just as stable (or will be before I decide to upgrade again) since the performance improvements will only get better with time.

My system:
mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
cpu: intel C2D E8400
GPU: Sapphire HD3870 512mb
HDD: Samsung spinpoint (forgot the model) 500Gb
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 650W
Case: Cooler Master CM690

Steam and office work fine. I use them all the time on Vista 64. And virtually all newer games. Pretty much everything I try works fine on 64 but there are still a few exceptions.

64 is very popular choice with gamers and hobbyists like yourself. Occasionally you will run into a few things that don't work. Support for 64 has moved over the hill so to speak and the momentum is growing fast.

If you have any particular game or app you simply have to run then research it first. The main reason to go 64 at the moment is that you get the ability to actually use more than 3 gig of RAM. So if you want to install 4 gig or more that is the way to go.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
thanks for the quick response. Would you happen to know of a website (maybe microsoft.com but I couldn't find details), that has every hardware/software that is and is not compatible with vista 64? I want to make sure that everything that I have (listed above) especially mobo/gpu are fully compatible.

Also, can you describe some of the exceptions you are talking about?

*** Hey I just realized that if I buy the ultimate edition it comes with both 32 and 64 bit, and if I buy Home premium I can get the 64-bit in addition for a small fee... Is it possible to install 64-bit, and just format my drive and if I don't like it reinstall the 32-bit without having to purchase another license? Also, is it possible to dual boot with the two versions on the same machine? That will solve all my problems as I can just try it out, and if I don't like it, get rid of it without spending extra money!

Thanks

Luke69

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Your hardware is all compatible (dont know the GPU but looks like one of those new ones in which case definately yes {I go for NVidia}).

You dont say how much memory you have purchased, if >3.5 then definately get 64. If less than 2 dont get vista from what I have seen. (You got more than 1 right..)

Office works fine, "general software on xp" should work fine or have free alternatives, Steam I am not sure but if they dont support Vista there F~@;ed in the future so Im sure it does/will.

I have had "Manhunt" and "Dirt" not work so far although I am sure dirt would work if I spent some effort on it. Out of lots of games, however I dont bother trying to run old dos/win 95 etc stuff, no more monkey island :(.

Any other q's then ill try to help.

redzoneos

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
thanks! @ Luke, yes I have more then 1Gb RAM... actually I purchased 2Gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2800 (May purchase 2 more if I end up keeping x64 long term). Thanks for your recommendations, I think I have decided that I will at least give x64 a chance for a while and see how it works out. If I end up with too many problems software or hardware related, then I might switch back, but from the sound of it microsoft is working harder to resolve issues with their 64bit systems. Thanks again.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

thank you as long as steam client works fine, than I'm happy for the most part. I want to use 8gb's and get rid of my page file, dont know if you read that tomsahrdware article yet, but they addressed alot of questions I had about it. http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/15/vista_workshop/
In that article they talk about a few ways to opitimize vista 64-bit for use with so much ram, which helps me make my decision all that more easier.

aardwolf

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008

Just a quick FYI -- you stated you had an issue dual-booting 32bit and 64bit vista, with them both showing up in the bootloader with the same name....

If you edit the text between the double-quotes in the boot.ini in the root of the booting hard drive, you can change the name to be whatever you want (and add in a 32/64 bit identifier...)