Sign in with
Your question

Wifi Briefly Drops

Last response: in Toms Network
November 28, 2007 11:03:25 PM

I purchased a new laptop the other day, and its been working great. The one problem I have is due to my WIFI connection.

I have a desktop wired through my router to a DSL connection; it works great.

On the wifi, which I enabled for the first time yesterday, I seem to lose my connection every couple of minutes very briefly. If I, for instance, try and transfer a file between machines, it will fail after a minute or so with

"Cannot copy x, the specified network name is no longer available"

I also have trouble streaming audio or video from the other machine.

I have not had a chance to try this on another network, but I would like to get your opinions on what could be causing this issue.

Thanks,

More about : wifi briefly drops

November 29, 2007 3:24:45 PM

Would be nice if you were to give a few details, like which wireless, etc...

Check you signal strength, and does the issue still happen when the laptop is sitting right next to the wireless router?
November 29, 2007 4:32:12 PM

Sorry I didn't give enough info...

Signal strength is excellent, when this is happening, the laptop is within 3' vertically from the router.

Laptop is a Dell Vostro 1000
Router is a DLink DI514

One thing I forgot to mention: The dell includes a wireless monitor, which detects packet drops. When the issue is happening there are no packet drops detected, and the "time online" does not reset, so I am assuming that the Dell does not detect the drops.

Thanks for your help
Related resources
December 2, 2007 11:06:57 PM

some rtr's have known issues with intermittent issues so i'd go to the dlink's website and get the latest firmware update
December 4, 2007 1:40:05 PM

I did that, no help.

I have brought my laptop to my school, and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I think I will have to replace my router.
January 3, 2008 6:20:45 PM

Make sure you don't have any speakers, headphones, microwaves, cellphones, etc any where near your router. All of these things, when on the right signal, can interfere with your connectivity causing constant drops.

Also, try setting a static IP on the laptop to see if that helps at all.
April 30, 2008 11:46:21 PM

Is your wireless network secure? If it is not secure, and you are located in an area where there's likely to be a lot of wireless internet traffic (ie. many neighbor computers), then there's your problem.

Possible Problem #1:
If you are using a laptop with both a built-in Ethernet adapter and a wireless adapter, you should make sure that the wireless adapter is disabled if you are in a dorm room (or house near many neighbor's). Your computer and someone else's computer are accidentally using the same IP address.

Windows Vista Computer
To disable your wireless adapter (which you must set under the computer's Network and Sharing Center):

1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Network and Sharing Center.
4. In the left-hand column, click Manage network connections.
5. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon.
6. Click Disable.

To enable your wireless adapter (which you must set under the computer's Network and Sharing Center):

1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Network and Sharing Center.
4. In the left-hand column, click Manage network connections.
5. Right-click the Wireless Network Connection icon.
6. Click Enable.

Windows XP Computer
To disable your wireless adapter (which you must set under the computer's Network Connections):

1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Network Connections.
4. Right-click Wireless Network Connection.
5. Click Disable.

To enable your wireless adapter (which you must set under the computer's Network Connections):

1. Click Start.
2. Click Control Panel.
3. Double-click Network Connections.
4. Right-click Wireless Network Connection.
5. Click Enable.

Possible Problem #2:
Treat your wireless network as if it was a wired one. On the wireless client, add a printer from the Printers & Faxes window (in Control Panel) and for file sharing make sure you have Microsoft File and Printer Sharing enabled on the wireless clients' connection (My Network Places > Properties). Be sure to implement a method of security otherwise anyone within your wireless network range can gain access to your files. From the run box (Start...) type \\computer_name or \\ip_address and see if anything comes up (it may take a while). Also check that the wireless client and desktop computer can ping each other.

Possible Problem #3:
When you're using a wireless internet connection, and it is not secure, it is possible one of your neighbor's are taking advantage of your unsecured network. If this is the case, anti-virus or spyware removal software will not ultimately fix your problem, unfortunately.

If you want to find out if someone is stealing your internet, or if you just don't know, I'd suggest you try a free wireless network security scan tool, found here: http://www.purenetworks.com/securityscan

This will diagnose any issues you may be having, and if it is a intruder, you can permanently block them from accessing your internet.

For full disclosure -- I do work for Pure Networks, the creator of Network Magic. So If one of these three solutions does not help solve your problem, let me know and I'll see if I can find other solutions for the intermediate connection issues you're having. But I'm fairly confident one of these solutions should do the trick. :sol: 
May 10, 2008 5:01:22 AM

i have some steps :
u told the files transfer between 2 pc not work well, i wanna know did u transfer through router? if this is true, check your router and laptop wireless card.

another way if you are using winvista and the both pc have wireless card, u try to setup a local network between them without router ( this feature is available in vista and easy to setup ) and tranfer files together.

if they work well >>> problem come from router
not work well>>>>> check lappy Nic card ( wireless card) if you dont have another to replace try to reinstall OS( immediately try with wireless card first after reinstall OS, do not install any third party softwares and antivirus, spyware softwares before try with wireless) u should be off firewall, too.
May 10, 2008 5:44:00 AM

in other to my knowledge, it could be from router or has conflicted between wireless card and some softwares u installed recently

reinstall OS as above directions>> [next replace router :)  (almost 90%)] :D 

u also try to open wireless door on bottom case and check cable first ( try take it out and push it on )
July 3, 2008 3:43:19 PM

You could pull down NetStumbler (I think its still available somewhere) and do a "site survey" of sorts. Its entirely possible your router's wireless channel is conflicting with another device nearby.

LA.
November 29, 2009 10:15:53 PM

I suddenly lost the ability to connect with my browser, first on my laptop and then on my other desktop. It showed a good connection, but would not allow internet on either machine. I have a Link-Sys WRT110 router. I did all the troubleshooting to no avail. (reinstalled wifi, checked settings, etc.) Then in desperation I unplugged my router, waited a minute and Ta Dah!!! it worked. Try this, it only takes seconds and it works.
:) 

G.R.
!