Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 lts (coming up) Pre-boot authentication encry

Last response: in Linux/Free BSD
April 8, 2010 2:26:56 PM

Q1: Is there a reason why linux truecrypt doesn't support Pre-boot authentication under ubuntu?
Q2: Does ubuntu 9.10 and/or ubuntu 10.04 lts have a full hard drive os system encryption Pre-boot authentication feature, similar to truecrypt for windows? If so, is it then as strong/effective as truecrypt?
Thanks.
April 8, 2010 6:41:40 PM

Truecrypt for windows' been cracked.

There's no way to ensure perfect security with truecrypt or any other software based solution.
April 8, 2010 7:51:28 PM

linux_0 said:

There's no way to ensure perfect security with truecrypt or any other software based solution.

No other software based solution. If i remember correctly, it was you who suggested sharks with lasers mounted to them to insure optimum security? :lol: 
May 29, 2012 7:14:01 AM

okppko said:
Q1: Is there a reason why linux truecrypt doesn't support Pre-boot authentication under ubuntu?
Q2: Does ubuntu 9.10 and/or ubuntu 10.04 lts have a full hard drive os system encryption Pre-boot authentication feature, similar to truecrypt for windows? If so, is it then as strong/effective as truecrypt?
Thanks.

Use the ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04 lts alternate iso download, and full hard drive encryption is supported.
May 29, 2012 7:36:04 AM

also as an option you can simply encrypt your /home folder
May 29, 2012 8:07:08 AM

I googled around but I see no evidence of truecrypt being cracked.

linux_0 said:

May 29, 2012 11:10:58 AM

It requires physical access to a machine thats on and has a firewire port. good thing I don't use firewire :pt1cable: 

Quote:
First, Passware's software requires physical access to a computer with a working FireWire port; a remote internet attacker cannot use it to break into your Mac or PC.

AppleInsider reports that turning off your computer rather than putting it to sleep - and of course ensuring that automatic login is disabled - will prevent passwords from being stored in RAM and thus prevent them from being recoverable.
May 29, 2012 11:43:36 AM

It's hardly surprising that physical access to the computer is required. The main reason that people encrypt filesystems is to protect them in such an eventuality.

I don't have to worry about encryption being broken, because I don't use any. I've seen far more people have problems because they have used file or disk encryption than because they haven't.
May 29, 2012 12:10:16 PM

How old is this thread? Yeah I thought so.
!