Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 lts (coming up) Pre-boot authentication encry

Status
Not open for further replies.

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Q1: Is there a reason why linux truecrypt doesn't support Pre-boot authentication under ubuntu?
Q2: Does ubuntu 9.10 and/or ubuntu 10.04 lts have a full hard drive os system encryption Pre-boot authentication feature, similar to truecrypt for windows? If so, is it then as strong/effective as truecrypt?
Thanks.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008

No other software based solution. If i remember correctly, it was you who suggested sharks with lasers mounted to them to insure optimum security? :lol:

okppko

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009

Use the ubuntu 10.04 or 12.04 lts alternate iso download, and full hard drive encryption is supported.

I googled around but I see no evidence of truecrypt being cracked.

It requires physical access to a machine thats on and has a firewire port. good thing I don't use firewire :pt1cable:

First, Passware's software requires physical access to a computer with a working FireWire port; a remote internet attacker cannot use it to break into your Mac or PC.

AppleInsider reports that turning off your computer rather than putting it to sleep - and of course ensuring that automatic login is disabled - will prevent passwords from being stored in RAM and thus prevent them from being recoverable.

It's hardly surprising that physical access to the computer is required. The main reason that people encrypt filesystems is to protect them in such an eventuality.

I don't have to worry about encryption being broken, because I don't use any. I've seen far more people have problems because they have used file or disk encryption than because they haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.