lennyx

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
In the past few days Vista has been restarting by itself, almost like every 15minutues, never had a problem before, its a custom pc, worked well for months, would like to get help if anyone has suggestions

Windows is set to automatically restart every time the system crashes. Such a crash could be caused by anything including hardware failure.

First step is to disable 'auto-reboot'. After disabling it you should then see an error message on the screen instead of getting a restart.

If so please post your error message here.

Here is how to disable auto-reboot:
1. Go to Start > Control Panel > System
2. Go to Advanced
3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

hmm, the error should appear on a bluescreen instead of getting a restart.

You might try looking at event viewer. Just type in 'event viewer' in the search pane that comes up when you hit the start button. Look at right after a crash and see if there are any recent errors listed.

If that does not help you may have to start checking hardware in a process of elimination and see if you can narrow it down. Running 'memtest86' would rule out the OS as a possible cause. See if memtest will run a long time with no errors.

I'd try undoing any recent system changes or software or driver installs.

If you can't discover any hardware problems such as faulty start or reset switch on case, overheating CPU, flaky power supply, bad RAM stick, bad hard drive or system short etc. then maybe try 1. system restore (control panel > backup) 2. a repair install of Vista and 3. finally a reformat and reinstall.

If the final option doesn't work then it's back to hardware checking. Sorry to be so general, but you a problem with many possible causes.

mike13

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
i have the same problem he got my PC restart by it self but some time in the morning at night and today in the morning restart by it self when i was using the internet, and i tried to read the error but it stay for 1 second and restart.

i really need help....

iluvcumming

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
I am having the same issues. It's on a dual boot system for me. I've checked the system logs, and am not getting a blue screen. Windows just shuts down. It actually closes all the programs regardless of what you're doing and shuts down as if you'd hit the shut down button. I'm starting to think it's the windows update settings, but I'm not 100% sure as of yet. Will update if I figure it out.

G

i have the same problem i am going crazy . i dont want to format my laptop i only need to fix this problem .
can any 1 help please :)